These Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes are really wonderful! Not only are they delicious but they’re really pretty too! When you bite into them, you get a burst of the strawberry and cream filling that’s just delightful. This one will definitely become a favorite!
I’ve got lots of fun and easy Cupcake Recipes for Parties for you to try out – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
These cupcakes are just heavenly! If you love strawberry flavored desserts you are in for a real treat with this recipe.
The lemon-flavored cupcakes are filled with a creamy filling made with sweetened condensed milk and fresh strawberries, they are also topped with strawberry frosting that has the puréed fruit right inside it too.
Top the cupcake with a fresh strawberry half and that is a whole load of strawberry flavor in these Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes!
Make the strawberry filling in advance so that it has a chance to thicken before using in the cupcakes. The finished cupcakes are best served chilled, so give them a couple of hours in the fridge before serving, or overnight if you can.
You can decorate these cupcakes in a few different ways which gives them lots of interest when served on a cake platter! Top with a whole or half strawberry, or add lemon slices or quarters (I recommend dipping them in a little sugar), or a combo of both fruits.
You could also add some white chocolate curls around the base of the frosting too, or even go for some pink, red, or yellow sprinkles!
These strawberry cupcakes are a really great addition to a party buffet table, for dessert after dinner, or as a summer birthday cupcake.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
You may already have some of the standard equipment and ingredients used in this recipe such as flour, eggs, butter, etc., but for your convenience, I’ve linked any specialized ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe to Amazon below.
- Cake Flour – this is not a common ingredient in the UK, but without getting too science-y about it, this flour has a lower protein and less gluten than regular flour and results in a lighter, closer crumb cake. Cake Flour is not self-raising flour or sponge flour.
However, you may be able to buy it online these days (always handy). I found Shipton Mill Organic Soft Cake and Pastry White Flour on Amazon UK and per 100g it has less protein than plain flour, yet slightly more than a US cake flour. It could be worth experimenting with if you make a lot of cakes.
In a pinch, you can actually make a substitute for it by using plain flour and cornflour (cornstarch in the US). You basically replace 2 tablespoons from a cup of plain/all-purpose flour with cornflour/cornstarch. Sift it very well several times to blend together.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – this is used to make the creamy filling. Do not use evaporated milk, this is too thin for this purpose.
- Cake Corer – this makes hollowing out the cupcake easier, but you can also just use a knife and a teaspoon to make a cavity for the strawberry filling.
More Recipes Using Strawberries
Since one of the main ingredients in this recipe is strawberries here are some more recipes using the same:
- Quick & Easy Strawberry Cupcakes for Summer
- Strawberry Shortcake – Disney’s Hoop-Dee-Doo Copycat Recipe
- Strawberry & Pistachio Frozen Yoghurt
How Do I Make Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes ?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, instructions, and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
For the FIlling
- 3 eggs yolks, beaten
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup of mashed strawberries - pureed in the blender
- 24 small whole strawberries
For the Cupcakes
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup of milk
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of cake flour
- 2 Tablespoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
For the Frosting
- 1 (16 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- ½ cup puréed strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whole or halved strawberries
- Lemon slices, whole, halved or quartered
- White chocolate curls
- Red, pink, or yellow sprinkles
- To make the filling, place the egg yolks in a bowl, and whisk them until they're well blended. Transfer to a heavy-based saucepan with the sweetened condensed milk and mashed strawberries. Hull the small strawberries for use when filling the cupcakes.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. The filling will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover and place in the refrigerator until time to fill the cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners.
- To make the cupcakes use a handheld or stand mixer and combine the butter, sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, milk, and sour cream, and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the two flours until they look like a fine powder. Add the baking powder and salt, and mix together.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl a little at a time, and mix between additions, until all ingredients have been blended. Mix on high for 1 minute.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill each cupcake liner with cupcake batter about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the cupcakes are golden brown on top, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting use a handheld or stand mixer and blend the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add the puréed strawberries and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar in small intervals, mixing between additions. If the frosting seems too thin, add a bit more powdered sugar. If it's too thick, add bit more pureed strawberries, 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved. Frosting should be thick enough to hold stiff peaks to pipe onto cupcakes. Place the mixing bowl in the refrigerator, covered with foil until time to frost the cupcakes.
- When the cupcakes have completely cooled, remove the center of the cupcake with a cupcake corer.
- Place a teaspoon of the strawberry filling into the cupcake and push a small whole strawberry into the cavity on top of the filling then top off with more filling.
- When all the cupcakes have been filled, place the frosting into a large piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe frosting swirls on top of each cake.
- Decorate the cupcakes with your choice of topping from the ingredients list - or a combination of them! If using lemon slices dip them in sugar to add some sweetness!
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes are best served chilled. Place in a cupcake carrier in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight if you can.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 0gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Summer Meal!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Black Bean Salsa Cups Appetizer
- Main Dish: Mexican Pork Stew with Black Beans & Vegetables
- Side Dish: Hot Mexican Rice Salad
- Beverage: Frozen Blueberry Margaritas – A Refreshing Adult Slush Drink!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!