How adorable are these Valentines Day Cupcakes? Make these sweet love cupcakes for your sweet love! Chocolate cupcakes are swirled with two-tone frosting, sprinkles, and the world love piped out in chocolate. They’re fun to make and delicious to eat!
I’ve got lots of fun and easy Cupcake Recipes for Parties and celebrations (and for everyday treats!) for you to try out – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Valentines Day Cupcakes
Cupcakes are the perfect edible gift no matter what the celebration! They’re so easy to make and often take no time at all. I love making cupcakes and I hope you love making these super cute cupcakes for Valentine’s Day. (Or for whenever you want to celebrate LOVE!)
Chocolate cupcakes are made from scratch (but you could use a box mix, or even ready-made cupcakes, I won’t tell!).
When the cupcakes have cooled they are topped with yummy two-color buttercream swirls and sprinkled with Valentine’s sprinkles.
The final flourish is the word ‘love’ that has been piped by hand (with melted chocolate) onto some parchment paper, and when dried, place on the top of the cupcake.
Don’t worry if you aren’t confident with your freehand piping skills as there is a template provided that you can trace!
Ingredients used in this recipe
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post, but here is a brief outline so you know what to expect from the recipe.
I highly recommend always reading a recipe all the way through before starting.
Alongside regular baking ingredients like butter, flour, sugar, etc., you will need some more specialized ingredients which I’ve linked below to Amazon for your convenience.
- Ghiradelli Chocolate Melting Wafers – or any brand of chocolate melts
- Gel Food Coloring in the following colors:
- Heavy Whipping Cream (Double Cream)
- Vanilla Extract
- Valentine’s Day Sprinkles
Equipment used in this recipe
You are likely to have most standard cooking tools in your kitchen but I’ve added some Amazon links for your convenience should you need something more specific for this recipe.
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cupcake pan
- Cupcake liners – red and/or pink
- Piping Bags
- Large Star Tip – Wilton 1M
- Round Tip – Wilton 2
- Wire Cooling Rack
- Ice Cream Scoop – this helps to scoop cupcake batter evenly. Get one with a trigger mechanism.
- Electric Mixer – stand or handheld
Valentine’s Day Cupcakes Recipe Tips
Piped ‘Love’ Toppers
- Prepare the piped ‘love’ toppers several hours in advance so that they have time to harden.
- You can use any type of cursive font that you like (check out dafont.com for tons of free fonts to download)
- If you want to use the font seen in the photos, download the free printable template. It is a Word document and the words are actually images that can be rescaled if required.
- Place the template onto a baking sheet and place some wax paper or parchment paper over the top. Follow the template with your melted chocolate-filled piping bag to pipe the word love.
- Make extras just in case any of them break!
- Leave to harden in a cool, dry place.
- When set, carefully peel the paper away from the piped lettering.
- Alternatively, slide a metal spatula gently underneath the chocolate words to lift them off the paper.
- Handle with care when transferring to your cupcakes!
Cupcakes & Frosting
- If you don’t want to make the cupcakes from scratch you could always use a chocolate cake box mix (I won’t tell!)
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the cake batter between the cupcake liners. This will help you get evenly sized cupcakes.
- The frosting recipe uses unsalted Sweet Cream Butter – in the UK, sweet cream butter is our regular butter – buy unsalted. You can read all about different types of butter here.
- Food Coloring Tips: Use good quality food coloring gel or paste as the color will be more vibrant. Do not use liquid color as this will change the consistency of the frosting, and really won’t taste good!
- Remember that you can always add more color, but not take it away. Add a little to start with and add more to get the shade required.
- These Valentine’s Day cupcakes are topped with a two-color frosting. You can do this in two different ways:
- Scoop half the side of the piping bag with white frosting and the other half with red, then squeeze some frosting out until the two colors mix together.
- Or, use the double piping bag by putting a piping bag of each color into another piping bag fitted with the tip and frosting as usual. Wilton has a great demonstration video on YouTube that I highly recommend.
- If you are not confident with your piping skills you can practice on some parchment paper first and scoop the frosting back into the bag – just make sure you practice with ONE color and not the two mixed together!
Make It A Valentine’s Meal!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses? Here are some recipes to take a look at to make a complete meal for Valentine’s Day!
- Soup/Appetizer: Spicy Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup
- Main Dish: One-Pan Lemon & Rosemary Chicken Thighs
- Side Dish: Roasted Apple Cauliflower Mash with Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- Cocktail: Raspberry Lime Vodka Cocktail
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.
More Sweet Treats for Valentine’s Day
Here are some more yummy treats you could make for your sweetie:
Know someone who would enjoy making these Valentines Day Cupcakes? Why not forward it onto them by email or WhatsApp?
For the 'Love' Toppers
- 1 cup chocolate melting wafers
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Vanilla frosting
- 1 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2½ cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream (double cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pink gel food coloring
- Valentine's Day sprinkles
- To make the 'Love' toppers, place the printable template onto a cookie sheet and lay a piece of wax paper on top.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave for 30 seconds or until smooth then transfer to a piping bag fitted with a round no. 2 piping tip.
- Pipe the word out at least 22 times, with some extras in case of breakage.
- Leave to harden for a few hours in a cool, dry place.
- To make the cupcakes, preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4, and line cupcake pans with 22 cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the brown and white sugars to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until smooth.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place the butter into a mixing bowl and with an electric mixer (stand or handheld) mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating to combine.
- Add the cream and vanilla extract and mix on medium-high speed until smooth and combined.
- Divide the frosting in half.
- Mix in pink gel food coloring to one of the bowls of frosting to the desired shade of pink.
- Scoop the pink frosting into one side of a large piping bag fitted with a star tip, and then scoop the white frosting onto the other side of the piping bag.
- Pipe swirls on top of the cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle some sprinkles on top.
- Carefully peel the piped chocolate 'love' toppers from the wax paper and place on top of the frosting.
You will also need the following decorating tools:
- Piping Bags
- No. 2 Round Piping Tip
- Wilton 1M Star Piping Tip
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 22 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 192mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g
This site uses an outside source (Nutritionix) to provide estimated nutrition. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.