Enjoy the flavors of South America with this Brazilian Churrasco Beef served with a Tomato and Sweetcorn Salad and an Aji Sauce made with fresh herbs and chilies. This is a delicious recipe for steak-lovers that packs a punch of flavor! It’s also Slimming World Friendly with 2½ Syns per serving.
I’ve got lots of great Slimming World Recipes for you to enjoy – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one.
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
With so much flavor packed into this dish you would not believe that it is Slimming World friendly! The Syns (2½ per serving) come from some crumbled feta over the salad, and some olive oil in the aji sauce. You can knock a Syn off if you don’t want to use the feta, but the sauce is worth it!
Churrasco is the Portuguese and Spanish name for beef or grilled meat more generally. It is a prominent feature in the cuisine of Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina. The related term churrascaria (or churrasqueria) is mostly understood to be a steakhouse. In Brazil, churrasco is the term for a barbecue.Wikipedia
We have a Brazilian Churrascaria not far from us and we have dined there several times over the years. The grilled meats are fine as far as Slimming World is concerned, but they have an amazing salad and sides bar where it is easy to go a bit mad!
That’s why I love this recipe so much, because we can enjoy the flavors at home without going off plan.
The steak is marinated for at least four hours (or overnight if you can) so plan ahead for that when making this recipe. You can cook the steak under a grill (broiler in the US) or on the barbecue (grill in the US) over charcoal (best!) or on a gas barbecue.
Of course, if you are not following Slimming World, then you can enjoy this dish just as much as those on it!
This recipe for Churrasco Beef serves 4 and has 2½ Syns per serving when Food Optimising.
Ingredients Used in This Recipe
For your convenience, I’ve linked any specialized ingredients needed for this recipe to Amazon below. The full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card
We used sirloin steak when making this recipe, but you can also use flank steak. Flank steak (similar to skirt steak) is an inexpensive cut of beef and best cooked fast at a high temperature. Don’t cook past a medium otherwise, the meat becomes tough. Has a good beefy flavor.
The steak is flavored with garlic (crushed with a garlic press) and other seasonings listed below.
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Cumin Seeds
- Dried Red Chili Flakes
- Rice Wine Vinegar – for the aji sauce
A tomato salad goes on the side along with a portion of sweet potatoes – which I forgot to include in the photos – sorry!
Ají is a spicy sauce and ecipes vary dramatically from person to person and from region to region, depending on preference. Ají has been prepared in Andean countries such as Bolivia, Colombia, and Peru since at least the time of the Incas, who called it uchu.
The aji sauce in this recipe uses coriander, green chili peppers, shallots, rice wine vinegar, olive oil, and garlic.
Slimming World Food Diary Printable
If you follow Slimming World, you will know that one of the crucial things to your success is keeping a Slimming World Food Diary.
I’ve got a free printable Slimming World Food Diary & Meal Planner here which now includes a diary for Extra Easy SP.
How Do I Make Slimming World Churrasco Beef?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, any pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with a garlic press
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried red chili flakes
- 1kg thick sirloin or flank steak, visible fat removed, cut into 12 large chunks
- 4 small sweet potatoes, cleaned and skins pricked.
For the Tomato Salad
- 2 small red onions, sliced into half rings
- 1 (300g) can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- 4 mixed beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Tbsp roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 25g feta, crumbled
For the Aji Sauce
- 20g finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 thumb-size green chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- To make the marinade, place the garlic, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, cumin seeds, and chili flakes in a small dish and whisk to combine.
- Place the steak pieces in a large, sealable freezer bag. Pour the marinade over the steak and seal the bag tightly. Gently turn the bag to make sure the steak is uniformly covered. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours to marinate or overnight if possible. Remove from the fridge 1 hour before cooking to come to room temperature.
- About an hour before ready to enjoy this dish, bake the sweet potatoes in a preheated oven 220C/425F/Gas 7 for 45 minutes, or until soft.
- To make the salad, toss together the red onion, sweetcorn, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with parsley and crumbled feta. Place in the fridge till needed.
- To make the aji sauce, place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Place in the fridge till needed.
- The steak can be cooked under the grill/broiler or on a barbecue grill (gas or charcoal). Preheat cooking device to hot.
- Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with a paper towel. Thread onto 4 pairs of metal skewers.
- Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or to your preferred steak doneness.
- Remove from heat, cover, and rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Divide the tomato salad between 4 plates, add and allow one double skewer of steak, and one baked sweet potato per plate. Drizzle with one-quarter of the aji sauce. Enjoy!
- Slimming World Syns per serving: 2½ Syns when Food Optimising.
- To use the Aji Sauce in other recipes it is 1½ Syns per serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 796Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 252mgSodium: 312mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 78g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
More Slimming World Friendly Recipes
Want a few Slimming World recipes to try next? Here are some of our favourites:
- Chicken Parmigiana & Spaghetti Bake (Slimming World Friendly Recipe)
- Italian Style Lamb Shanks in the Slow Cooker (Slimming World Friendly)
- Slimming World Moussaka – A Low-Fat Version of a Greek Classic!
About Slimming World
Slimming World’s Food Optimising plan is a healthy, flexible approach, based on everyday foods, to help people lose weight without ever going hungry. It’s a practical, family-friendly plan that fits easily into everyday life and doesn’t require complex weighing and measuring or obsessive calorie counting. – Slimming World
Disclosure: I am not affiliated with Slimming World in any way other than being a member and following their Food Optimising plan. This recipe may have been adapted from a Slimming World magazine or book. If you are reading this blog post or printing this recipe the chances are you already follow SW and know all the ins-and-outs of how it works. Please check with your consultant, in your member pack, or online at Slimming World’s website for full and up-to-date details about the plan as it may be updated from time to time in line with the latest nutritional information. I am not a doctor or dietician, or providing medical advice and hold no responsibility for the complete accuracy of calorie counts and nutritional information. And where applicable, Syns in Slimming World friendly recipes. I advise you to check your own resources if you are using recipes to lose weight. All weight-loss programs should be followed on advice from a doctor.