This Greek Steak Salad with salad greens, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, Kalamata olives, Feta and dressed with a homemade olive oil herb dressing is so full of amazing flavor! A delicious dish to serve for a summer dinner party outside in the fresh air and sunshine!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Greek Steak Salad
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
This fantastic Greek-inspired salad is a great dish to serve for lunch or dinner – especially when dining outside in the sunshine.
It is made using a cut of steak called sirloin (in the UK) or strip (in the US) which is a tender piece of meat and one of my favorite cuts.
If you haven’t tried a salad that uses steak as the main protein, you are in for a real treat. Using slices of roasted steak brings such an amazing flavor to your salad that you’ll wonder why you waited so long to try it!
Ingredients Used In This Recipe
To make this salad you will of course need strip steak, as well as a variety of salad vegetables and Kalamata olives. The dish is topped with crumbled Feta cheese.
For your convenience, any specialized ingredients needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon below. Full list with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dijon Mustard
- Italian Seasoning – seems strange to use an Italian seasoning in a Greek recipe, but it’s simply just a mixture of herbs that is easy to find in stores! The Mediterranean region uses a lot of similar flavors so it’s all good!
- Kalamata Olives
This recipe uses American cups. They’re a handy piece of kitchen equipment to have along with a kitchen food scale. Having both in your kitchen means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog as I use both cups and weighted measures.
More Recipes Using Steak
Steak is the hero ingredient in this recipe, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Sheet Pan Steak Dinner: Garlic Parmesan Steak with Asparagus
- Balsamic Steak +Vegetable Roll-Ups
- Flank Steak with Rosti and Tomato-Caper Sauce
Greek Steak Salad Recipe Tips
- The steak is marinated before cooking. Make sure you allow time for this when preparing the recipe. It needs a minimum of 30 minutes at room temperature or 2-12 hours in the refrigerator.
- This recipe serves 4 to 6 people, who may all have different preferences to how they enjoy their steak cooked. If they’re not fussy, medium-rare to a medium is a good choice. However, if you have guests that prefer rare or well-done steak, divide the steak into pieces before cooking and serve separately.
- For more details on desired temps for roasted beef, see this page: https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/kitchen/doneness.php
- The steak is first seared in a skillet before being transferred to the oven to finish roasting. Alternatively, you could cook under a broiler (grill in the UK) or over charcoal on the grill outside (barbecue in the UK).
- Rest the steak for 5-10 minutes before cutting into strips for the salad.
- This recipe uses store-bought Italian Seasoning, but it is so easy to make your own herb mixes, especially if you already have a bunch of herbs and spices in your pantry already. Just mix equal measures of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, parsley, and thyme. You can also add a pinch of garlic granules or powder as well as red chili flakes.
- Which means you could also make a more Greek flavored blend, and since I am of Greek-Cypriot heritage here is how I would make it:
How To Make Greek Herb Seasoning
Mix together the following herbs and spices and store in an airtight jar, preferably in a cool, dry, dark place.
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion granules or flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
More Salad Recipes
Want more salads to make? Take a look at these recipes next:
- Steak Fajita Salad with Black Beans
- Chicken & Pasta Caesar Salad
- Giant Couscous Salad with Roasted Aubergine, Parsley & Pomegranate
How Do I Make Greek Steak Salad?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, instructions, and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lbs / 500g strip/sirloin steak, approximately 1½” thick
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups mixed salad greens (or other lettuce, of choice)
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- To make the dressing, in a medium bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place the steak into a large, sealable freezer bag. Pour half of the balsamic dressing on top and seal tightly. Gently turn the bag to make sure the steak is thoroughly coated in the marinade. Marinate the steak for at least 30 minutes at room temperature (but not more than 2 hours) or place in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer the remaining half of the dressing to an airtight container and set aside until ready to use.
- When ready to prepare the salad, preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over high heat. Use tongs to remove the steak from the marinade and discard the bag and any marinade inside. Add the steak to the hot skillet and sear on all sides, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Place the skillet into the pre-heated oven and roast to the desired level of doneness. Approximately 8 minutes for medium-rare. Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. The steak should be a few degrees below the desired temp (e.g., 60C/135F for medium-rare) when removed from the oven. The internal temp will continue to rise while resting.
- Remove steak from oven and transfer to plate. Cover loosely and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the freshly chopped avocado with the lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
- Layer the mixed salad greens, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, olives, and avocado on a large serving platter and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Once the steak is rested, slice into thin strips and place on top of the salad. Top with crumbled Feta cheese and serve immediately with the remaining balsamic dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Please note, actual cook time will vary depending on a number of factors, including starting temperature of the beef, thickness, desired level of doneness, and individual oven differences.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 843Total Fat: 66gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 45gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 536mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 9gSugar: 16gProtein: 38g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Cucumber Feta Watermelon Skewers Party Appetizer with Balsamic Glaze
- Side Dish: Greek Orzo Salad with Feta
- Beverage: Spiked Fresh Watermelon Cocktail: Watermelon Breeze
- Dessert: Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes with Strawberries & Cream Filling!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!