Halloween might be over, but I’ve got another recipe to share with you that would be perfect for Bonfire Night/Guy Fawkes Night – Toffee Apple Cupcakes. I remember when I was younger, my mum would always buy those sticky, red toffee apples for November 5th. They don’t seem to be so red any more these days – must be all those E numbers that we were allowed to have in the 1980s!
I’ve got lots of fun and easy Cupcake Recipes for Parties for you to try out – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
These delicious toffee apple cupcakes are great for Guy Fawke’s Night – enjoy them while watching the fireworks! I love toffee apples – they remind me of this time of year as my mum always used to buy the bright red ones for us when we were kids.
- 125g self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 115g light muscovado sugar
- 75g Trex, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 15g butter
- 1 red eating apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp light muscovado sugar
- 6 tbsp toffee sauce
- 6 tbsp clotted cream or whipped fresh cream
- icing sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Place 12 paper bun cases into a bun tin.
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar, Trex, unbeaten eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Use a wooden spoon to beat the mixture together until smooth and creamy – this will only take 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until risen and golden. Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan and add the apple slices, cooking them for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the sugar and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until caramelised. Leave until cold.
- When the buns are completely cold, slice the tops from them and cut these in half. Share the toffee sauce between the buns, top with the clotted cream or whipped cream, then decorate with the apple slices. Replace the tops, then sift a little icing sugar over the buns.
Check out these 25+ Cupcake Recipes for more fun, and easy celebration and holiday cupcakes!