Be sure to bag yourself the free printable templates to create this gorgeous Mermaid Clothespin Craft. The 30-minute activity is perfect for sleepover parties or to give as favors at mermaid-themed parties!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Mermaid Clothespin Craft
The full list of materials, tools, and instructions is found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have everything required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Looking for some fun and easy summer craft ideas? Well, look no further than this mermaid clothespin craft!
Using a few simple (and cheap) supplies – wooden clothespins (pegs), paint, paper, and glitter glue, you can create beautiful and colorful mermaid dolls in around 30 minutes.
This sweet craft is one that older kids could manage on their own, but younger kiddos will need a helping hand.
You can mix and match all sorts of colors when making your mermaid clothespin dolls, and go wild with glitter and rhinestones!
The mermaid clothespins (or clothes pegs as we call them in the UK) are super cute to clip to a banner or gift bag for a Mermaid Birthday Party!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
The complete list of supplies, which may include basic crafting items that you already have can be found in the tutorial card at the end of this post. For your convenience, I’ve linked any notable materials and tools needed for this project to Amazon below.
- Wooden Clothespins – you will need the wire spring type
- Acrylic Craft Paint – various shades of Flesh Tones, Green, Pink, Purple, Blue, Red, Yellow, Lime, Aqua
- Craft/Construction Paper – various shades of Flesh Tones, Green, Pink, Purple, Blue, Red, Yellow, Lime, Aqua – Dollar Store
- Glitter Glue – shades to coordinate with paint and paper
- Rhinestones – for mermaid’s swim top
- Pearls – for mermaid’s swim top
- Glue Stick
- Low-Temp Glue Gun – and Glue Sticks
- Free Printable Clothespin Mermaid Pattern Template – click to download and save it to your device
Cheap Craft Supplies
A great thing about this craft idea is that it’s very budget-friendly using supplies you may already have or can be purchased cheaply in stores:
If you’re in the USA, check out your local Dollar Store or Dollar Tree; and if you’re in the UK, the Poundshop, The Range, Wilko, and Baker Ross are great places to shop for cheap and inexpensive craft supplies. The rest of the world reading this – I don’t know every cheap store – sorry! But hunt the ones out in your location for crafting bargains!
More Sleepover Crafts
Looking for more crafts for the kiddo’s sleepover? Here are some more for you – right-click to open a new tab to red next:
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home for you to try!
How Do I Make Mermaid Clothespins?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- Wooden Clothespins (spring-style)
- Acrylic Paint - Various shades of flesh tones, Green, Pink, Purple, Blue, Red, Yellow, Lime, Aqua
- Free Printable Mermaid Template
- Craft Paper; Various shades of flesh tones, Green, Pink, Purple, Blue, Red, Yellow, Lime, Aqua
- Glitter Glue; Shades to coordinate
- Glue Stick
- Low-Temp Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Paint the top one-third of the clothespin with a variety of flesh-tone paints of your choice. Set aside to dry.
- Paint the bottom two-thirds of the clothespin with a variety of rainbow-colored paints of your choice. Set aside to dry.
- Download, print and cut out the mermaid patterns with scissors.
- Trace the Mermaid head pattern onto a variety of flesh tone craft papers with a pencil. Trace the Mermaid hair patterns, and the Mermaid tail patterns onto a variety of colored craft papers. Cut out all patterns with scissors. Attach the hair to the head with a glue stick. Attach the tails to the base of the clothespins with a glue gun.
- Clip the Mermaid heads with hair into the top of the clothespin. No need to attach with glue then you can mix and match the Mermaids!
- Attach two self-adhesive half rhinestones or pearls to the Mermaid as the bathing suit top.
- Accent each Mermaid tail with glitter glue in a coordinating color, and then set aside to dry.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.