This rustic Chicken and White Bean Stew is ideal to serve up on a damp, chilly evening. Using chicken thighs, Cajun andouille sausage, cannellini beans, and stock veggies it’s ready to eat in 1.5 hours.
This recipe is a great choice for larger family meals as it serves 6-8 people, but it’s also ideal to keep as leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Chicken and White Bean Stew
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
With autumn in full swing, it’s time to start breaking out the comfort food recipes like this chicken and white bean stew.
This filling stew made with chicken, sausage, beans, and vegetables can be eaten as is, or with a side of mashed potatoes, rice, or quinoa to add even more heartiness to the dish. Or just serve it with a chunk of crusty bread for dunking into the liquor – divine!
This chicken stew recipe makes enough for 6-8 people, so it’s perfect for larger families, or for having leftovers to enjoy a day or two later.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It does not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Protein – Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs, Cajun Andouille Sausage
- Fresh Produce – Red Onion, Garlic, Celery, Carrots, Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley
- Chicken Broth/Stock
- Bay Leaves
- Canned Cannellini Beans
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Sheet Pan Balsamic Chicken Breasts with Sweet Potato & Broccoli
- How to Make Lemon Pepper Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
- Orange Cranberry Chicken Recipe Made with Bone-In Chicken Breasts
More Stew Recipes
Looking for more stews to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetable Stew
- Braised Beef Burgundy Stew (Also Known as Beef Bourgignon)
- One-Pan Chicken Cacciatore – Italian Hunter’s Stew
- The primary difference between a soup and a stew is the amount of liquid used to prepare it.
- To stretch your grocery budget a bit farther, double the amount of broth (or use a combination of broth and water) and add some chopped greens, such as spinach, kale, or escarole, to make a rich, satisfying soup instead.
How Do I Make Chicken and White Bean Stew?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced and cut into half rounds
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs (680g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 (3-oz/85g) Cajun andouille sausage, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 (29-oz or 2 x 400g) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Add one tablespoon olive oil to a large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften and develop some color.
- Add the chicken thighs, sliced sausage, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken pulls apart easily with two forks.
- Add the cannellini beans and stir to combine. Simmer for another 4-5 minutes, or just until heated through.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh parsley right before serving. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 571Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 1505mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 10gSugar: 3gProtein: 47g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Appetizer: Fully Loaded Mexican Street Corn with Mexican Crema & Cotija Cheese
- Soup: Gluten-Free Gazpacho Recipe with Chickpea “Croutons”
- Salad: Classic Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing & Croutons
- Side Dish: Cuban Mojo Potatoes – A Delicious Side Dish with Chili, Garlic & Lime
- Beverage: Gluten-Free Baked Cinnamon Apple Cobbler Dessert
- Dessert: How To Make a Classic Mojito Cocktail with White Rum, Lime & Mint
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.