When you want to eat both a cupcake and a slice of pumpkin pie, you make a batch of these Mini Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes! Pumpkin spice cupcakes are topped with cinnamon frosting and finished off with a mini slice of pumpkin pie!
I’ve got more Autumn Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Mini Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
I’m going to assume that since you’ve found yourself on this recipe that you, like me, LOVE pumpkin pie! And you probably love cupcakes too, which is why you need to make these mini pumpkin pie cupcakes as soon as possible!
These pumpkin spiced cupcakes are next level awesome and so freaking cute, mainly because of the mini slice of pumpkin pie sitting on top of them. Adorable right?
The cupcakes and frosting are made from scratch in this recipe, and the mini slices of pie are cut from a store-bought, ready-made pie.
However, if you can’t buy a ready-made pie for whatever reason, you can easily make some Mini Pumpkin Pies since they use a lot of the same ingredients, and you’ll be in a baking mood anyway!
Serve these delightful cupcakes for an autumn afternoon tea party, or just as an afternoon treat with a hot drink.
You could also serve them at a Halloween party. My love for pumpkin pie stemmed from making it for the first Halloween party I ever threw and I associate that dessert with October 31st!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
This recipe uses American cups. They’re a handy piece of kitchen equipment to have along with a kitchen food scale. Having both in your kitchen means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog as I use both cups and weighted measures.
You may have some of the ingredients for this recipe in your kitchen already – the full list with measurements is found in the recipe card.
For your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon if available online.
- 1 small (8″) pumpkin pie
- Light Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract – always buy the best you can afford, it truly makes a difference!
- Pure Maple Extract – quality as above!
- Canned Pure Pumpkin Purée* – do not use pumpkin pie filling as it has sugar and spices added and we are adding our own in this recipe. If you can’t source this ingredient, you can make it yourself, see below for instructions.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice** – If you can’t source this ingredient, you can make it yourself, see below for instructions
- Ground Cinnamon
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda – known as Bicarbonate of Soda in the UK
- Kosher Salt – these are simply sea salt flakes such as Maldon.
- Powdered Sugar – known as Icing Sugar in the UK
How Do I Make Pumpkin Purée?
*Before it was readily available in the UK, this is what I used to do in recipes that used pumpkin purée.
Simply peel, de-seed, and chop a pumpkin or butternut squash, steam until tender then purée in a food processor until smooth. Use as required in recipes.
How Do I Make Pumpkin Pie Spice?
**If you can’t source ready-made pumpkin pie spice, it is so easy to make yourself using spices you may already have in your pantry.
Stir the following spices together and store in an airtight jar in a cool, dry place. Use as required in recipes. You can adjust the levels of spices to your own personal preferences if you like.
- 3 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp ground cloves
More Recipes Using Canned Pumpkin
One of the hero ingredients in this recipe is canned pumpkin, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Quick & Easy Pumpkin Spice Pancakes – A Yummy Fall Breakfast!
- Rum Spiked Pumpkin Pie Punch
- Pumpkin Bars with Cinnamon Streusel Topping
Mini Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes Recipe Tips
- Use festive autumn-themed cupcake liners to bake your cakes in.
- Use an ice cream scoop to equally divide the cupcake mixture between the cupcake liners.
- The cupcakes should be ready in about 20 minutes – test their doneness by inserting a toothpick into the cakes. It should come out clean when the cupcakes are cooked through. Bake for an extra 2 minutes and check again.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Cupcake Frosting Tips
- When making the frosting you want the end result to be creamy, smooth, and for it to hold a stiff peak. You may have to adjust the amount of powdered sugar and cream slightly to achieve the consistency you need.
- You will need two piping bags for this recipe – one fitted with a small star piping tip, and one fitted with a large star piping tip.
- If you feel like you are going to be making a lot of cakes and cupcakes in your future, I think it is worth investing in a set of piping tips so that you know you always have the right ones on hand for a recipe.
- Do not overfill the piping bag with frosting, and make sure you squeeze the frosting down the bag to expel any air bubbles.
- If you are not confident with your piping skills you can practice on some parchment paper first and scoop the frosting back into the bag to use on the cupcakes.
More Fall Cupcake Recipes
Want to make more cupcakes for fall? Check these recipes out next:
- Caramel Apple Pie Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugar Pie Crust Topping
- Pumpkin Spice Baileys Cupcakes
- Toffee Apple Cupcakes
How Do I Make Mini Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, and instructions. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- 1 small (8") pumpkin pie
For the Cupcakes
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp maple extract
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ¾ tsp kosher salt (sea salt flakes)
- ¾ cup fat-free milk (skimmed milk)
For the Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2½ cups powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 5 Tbsp heavy whipping cream (double cream)
- Cut the pumpkin pie into 24 mini slices and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and place 24 cupcake liners into cupcake pans. Set aside.
- Using an electric stand or handheld mixer, beat the sugar, oil, eggs, maple, vanilla, and pumpkin purée until combined.
- Whisk or sift the flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl.
- Alternating between the dry ingredients and the milk, gradually mix into the wet pumpkin ingredients. until combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop to evenly divide the batter between the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting
- To make the cinnamon frosting, use an electric stand or handheld mixer and place all the frosting ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Mix on medium speed until creamy and smooth and stiff peaks form.
- Scoop ½ cup of frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small star tip. Set aside.
- Scoop the remaining frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe a swirl of frosting on top of each cooled cupcake.
- Place a mini pumpkin pie slice on top of each frosted cupcake and add a mini swirl of frosting on top of each pie slice.
- Enjoy and Happy Fall Y'all!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 195mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Curried Butternut Squash Soup – Slow Cooker Recipe
- Main Dish: Sheet Pan Roasted Rosemary Lemon Chicken Recipe
- Side Dish: Rustic Roasted Potatoes with Garlic, Rosemary & Lemon
- Beverage: Purple Shimmering Maleficent Cocktail
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!