Make a warming mug of this Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe and cozy up on the sofa under a blanket with your favorite movie and a stack of homemade cookies!
The hot chocolate is flavored with cloves, cinnamon, and vanilla and will certainly warm you from the inside out – especially if you add a spike of tequila or rum!
This post is part of Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) – a series of festive recipes, crafts, printables, and more on The Purple Pumpkin Blog!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe
This hot chocolate recipe is not your average hot chocolate recipe. Oh no, ma’am, it is filled with warming spices and you can even add a drop or your favorite liquor.
Tequila would, of course, be the first choice, but rum or whiskey would work equally well.
There are tons of different recipes out there for Mexican hot chocolate and this is my variation. Some recipes use chili powder which would certainly give a spicy punch!
This is not an authentic Mexican hot chocolate recipe, which is actually made using chocolate de mesa (table chocolate) that is sold in a solid bar that is broken up into pieces and added to milk or water.
Check out this authentic Chocolate Caliente on The Spruce Eats.
But if you want to use ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, then my recipe is definitely the one for you!
Make It A Meal!
Mexican Hot Chocolate would make a delicious alternative to coffee after dinner – and you’ve now got the recipe for that!
But what about the other courses? Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Cheese-Stuffed Taco Meatballs Party Appetizer
- Main Dish: Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas
- Side Dish: Homemade Guacamole
- Side Salad: Mexican Bean Salsa
- Beverage: Christmas Margaritas
- Dessert: Mince Pie Pinwheels in Filo Pastry Cups
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.
Cookies and hot chocolate go hand in hand! Here are some awesome cookie recipes to make:
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, snapped in half
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, for garnish, optional
- 4 cinnamon sticks, for garnish, optional
- Marshmallows, for garnish, optional
- Ground cinnamon, for garnish, optional
To Spike the Hot Chocolate, optional
- 4 oz Rum, Tequila, or Whisky
- Mix cocoa powder and flour in a large saucepan.
- Stir in brown sugar, milk, whole cloves, and the snapped-in-half cinnamon stick.
- Bring to just before boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Do not allow to boil
Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Do bot bring to a boil.
- Remove pan from heat and take out the cloves and cinnamon stick with a slotted spoon.
- Optional - if you are spiking your beverage, add the alcohol now.
- Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla extract then beat with a whisk until foamy.
- Pour into 4 mugs and garnish as desired with whipped cream, cinnamon sticks, marshmallows, or ground cinnamon.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 111mgCarbohydrates: 38gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 3gSugar: 29gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 10g
This site uses an outside source (Nutritionix) to provide estimated nutrition. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
The Create the Holidays (formerly Create Christmas) series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Christmas and the Winter Holidays! You can check out Create the Holidays from 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 and 2012 for tons of awesome Holiday ideas and inspiration!