Create this super simple Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake in no time at all using lemon cake mix, lemon pudding mix, and fresh blueberries. The cake is then covered with a generous coating of cream cheese frosting. Delicious and ideal for serving at afternoon tea parties!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading all the way through for any tips or substitute suggestions, to ensure that you have any specialized ingredients and equipment required and that you understand the steps and timings involved.
Lemon and blueberries are a match made in heaven, and they work perfectly together in this delicious cake!
Why not make this cake to serve at a summer garden party or afternoon tea party? The fresh and light flavors of this moist cake are sure to be loved by all. It’s also a great cake for taking to a picnic or potluck.
What is a Bundt Cake?
A Bundt cake is a cake that is baked in a Bundt pan, shaping it into a distinctive doughnut shape. The shape is inspired by a traditional European cake known as Gugelhupf, but Bundt cakes are not generally associated with any single recipe.Wikipedia
The lemon blueberry bundt cake is so easy to make by using a box of lemon cake mix and a box of lemon pudding mix, so minimal effort is required!
It’s best to make this cake the day before requiring it, as it needs some time in the fridge (overnight) to firm up before frosting – which is an easy-to-make cream cheese frosting.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It does not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, and pepper, as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen already. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Lemons, Blueberries.
- Dairy – Sour Cream, Eggs, Cream Cheese, Unsalted Butter, Milk.
- Lemon Cake Mix
- Lemon Instant Pudding Mix – you could also use vanilla instant pudding mix.
- Powdered Sugar – also known as Icing Sugar or Confectioners Sugar.
- Pure Vanilla Extract – always buy good vanilla as it really does make a flavor difference.
What is Pudding Mix?
I mentioned one of the ingredients is pudding mix, and you may be wondering what it is. Let Wiki educate us:
Instant pudding is an instant food product that is manufactured in powder form and used to create puddings and pie filling. It is produced using sugar, flavoring agents and thickeners as primary ingredients. Instant pudding can be used in some baked goods.Wikipedia
This is not really something we have in the UK – although, we do have Angel Delight which is actually a more similar product than I had realised.
However, we don’t have lemon-flavored Angel Delight, and I’ve only tested this recipe using Jell-O Instant Pudding, which is an American product.
Fortunately, thanks to online American grocery shops in the UK, as well as Amazon, it’s quite easy these days to buy those American products!
Why Put Pudding in the Cake Mix?
Adding instant pudding mix to cake mixes adds extra flavor, moistness, and a denser texture. You may see some “extra moist” cake mixes – these have had pudding mix included.
You don’t need to make up the pudding, just add the powder!
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Lemons
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is lemon, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Make This Lemon Raspberry Loaf for Brunch or Afternoon Tea
- Lemon Poppy Seed Coffee Cake
- Delicious & Easy Lemon Hand Pies
More Afternoon Tea Recipes
Looking for more afternoon tea to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Quick & Easy Berry & Lemon Cheesecake Cookies
- Hawaiian Pineapple Coconut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Classic Carrot Cake Recipe with Chopped Pecans
- The cake needs to chill overnight (12 hours or until ready to serve) to firm up before frosting.
How Do I Make a Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 1 (3.4oz) package lemon instant pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 Large eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
For the Frosting
- 1 (8oz/225g) package cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2½ cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2-4 Tbsp milk
- 1 large lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and spray a 9-inch round bundt pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Using an electric handheld or standing mixer, beat the cake mix, instant pudding, sour cream, eggs, oil, lemon juice, and water until combined.
- Fold in the fresh blueberries.
- Pour the cake batter into the bundt pan and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Place in the refrigerator overnight before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, use an electric handheld or standing mixer and beat all of the frosting ingredients except the lemon zest, until combined and smooth.
- Place cake on serving plate and pour the frosting on top.
- Zest the lemon over the cake to decorate, and add extra blueberries too, if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 810Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 660mgCarbohydrates: 105gFiber: 2gSugar: 73gProtein: 9g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Afternoon Tea Recipes
Here are additional recipes to serve for Afternoon Tea
- Feta Cucumber Cups Appetizer for Summer Parties
- Fruit Salad Cupcakes
- Quick & Easy Berry & Lemon Cheesecake Cookies
- Refreshing Blackberry Iced Tea in the Instant Pot for Summer Tea Parties
- 25+ Scrumptious Afternoon Tea Recipes
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.