These Easy Lemon Hand Pies are so simple to make! Using a jar of lemon curd and ready-made pie crust (or you can make your own, recipe included!) these mini pies bake in 25 minutes! These hand pies full of lemon goodness are great for picnics, for a quick afternoon treat, and would look darling on a party dessert table.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Easy Lemon Hand Pies
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
Lemon, at least to me, is a great fruit to enjoy in the Summer. There is just something about the tangy sweet flavor that fits perfectly with those long sunny days!
This recipe for mini lemon pies – that are small enough to pick up and eat with your hand, and dainty enough to serve with a fork for afternoon tea – is ridiculously easy and the end result is heavenly!
You can eat these pies hot, room temperature, or cold. In fact they taste amazing cold on a hot summer’s day!
Lemon curd is sandwich between two discs of pastry and then dusted with sugar before baking – so quick and simple. But if you are scared about making pastry from scratch, then you can buy ready-made pie crust or ready-rolled pastry from the grocery store – I won’t tell!
Once you’ve made these lemon curd pies why not experiment with different flavor curds, or even jam? YUM!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
You may already have some of the standard ingredients used in this recipe such as flour, and butter, etc., to make the pastry, but for your convenience, I’ve linked any specialized ingredients needed for this recipe to Amazon below.
- Lemon Curd – a dessert spread and topping that tastes divine! Available in jars and made with fruit, butter, sugar, and eggs.
- Pastry Cutter/Dough Cutter – use this to cut the butter into the flour to make the dough. If you don’t have one of these tools you can just use your fingertips.
- 3″ Round Cookie Cutter – to cut out the pastry circles. If you have a cutter that is slightly bigger or smaller, that’s okay. Worse comes to it, place a small saucer onto the pastry and cut around the edge with a sharp knife.
- Pastry Brush – to brush on the egg wash, but you could use your fingers.
More Recipes Using Lemon
Since the main ingredient in this recipe is lemon here are some more recipes using the same flavor:
- Quick & Easy Berry & Lemon Cheesecake Cookies
- One-Pan Lemon & Rosemary Chicken Thighs
- One-Pan Vegetable & Lemon Pork Traybake
More Pie Recipes
Want to make more pies? Take a look at these recipes next:
How Do I Make Lemon Hand Pies ?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, instructions, and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
For the Pastry* See Notes
- ⅓ cup cold butter, unsalted
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp cold water
- 1 jar lemon curd*
- ⅛ cup sugar for dusting
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Prepare pie pastry by sifting the flour and salt into a large bowl then cutting cold butter into the mixture.
- Add cold water a little at a time until the dough comes together. It shouldn't be too dry or too wet.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Roll dough on a floured surface and cut 10 circles with 3” cutter.
- Cut tiny x in the top center of 5 circles - these are the tops of the pies.
- Spread lemon curd onto 5 of the bottom pastry circles, leaving ½” border all the way around. Use your finger to rub a little water around the edges of the pastry.
- Place pastry tops and press to seal with a knife handle or fork tines.
- Brush tops with egg whites.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pies on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. Can also be served cold.
- If you don't want to make pastry from scratch you can use pre-made/store-bought pie crust or ready-rolled pastry.
- Around 11 oz /312g jar
- Store in an airtight container for 3 days at room temperature or for up to a week in the fridge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
These lemon pies would be great for a garden party or afternoon tea, so here are some recipes that I think would make a great full meal!
- Balsamic Mozzarella Stuffed Grape Tomatoes
- Devilled Eggs
- Loaded Broccoli and Bacon Salad
- Roasted Vegetable & Orzo Salad
- Fresh Sparkling Blueberry Lemonade – Summer Mocktail or Cocktail Mixer!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!