This Instant Pot Chicken Lazone is the perfect minimal effort weeknight dinner option. Plus, serving it with mushrooms instead of the traditional pasta makes it a low-carb meal.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Instant Pot Chicken Lazone
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Brennan’s restaurant in New Orleans is said to be the birthplace of this dish, so expect some Cajun flavors, including heat! It is essentially spicy chicken in a cream sauce (and it’s so good!)
This Instant Pot chicken lazone recipe is ready to enjoy in 35-minutes, making it a great midweek meal for the family.
A spice blend of garlic powder, onion powder, chilli powder, and paprika is used in this tasty, naturally low-carb recipe. For added heat, you could add a dash of cayenne too.
The chicken with the wonderful, creamy pan sauce is traditionally served over pasta, but we’ve plated it here with mushrooms and asparagus for an amazing meal when you are wanting to eat fewer carbs.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. Staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., aren’t always included here as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ALL ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Baby Portobello Mushrooms, Parsley
- Protein – Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Dairy – Heavy Cream (Double Cream)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder – use mild or hot depending on your personal tastes and spicy heat preference
- Chicken Broth/Stock
- Special Equipment – Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1, this is the Instant Pot I have
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Chicken
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is chicken, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Sheet Pan Lemon Chicken and Vegetables (An Easy Family Dinner)
- Creamy Chicken and Asparagus Linguine (35-Minute) Recipe
- Chicken Paillard Salad with Arugula and Parmesan
More Instant Pot Recipes
Looking for more dishes to make in your Instant Pot? Check these recipes out next:
- Instant Pot Chicken Florentine Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe – A Classic Indian Curry
- You can also use chicken tenders or cutlets in place of the butterflied chicken breasts in this recipe.
- Butterflying a chicken breast gives it a uniform thickness, which is ideal for quick cooking. Here is a step-by-step guide if you are unsure how to do this.
- Storing Leftovers: Cool and transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Freezing: Cool and transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container and place in the freezer. It will last for 2 to 6 months, just be sure to allow it to thaw fully in the fridge before reheating until piping hot. Label the container with the name of the dish and the date so you can keep track of your food storage.
How Do I Make Instant Pot Chicken Lazone?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
- 2 lbs (900g) chicken breasts, butterflied*
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 10 oz (280g) baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup chicken broth, preferably organic
- ¾ cup heavy cream (double cream)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Combine the garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and cayenne (if using) in a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub this spice mixture into each butterflied chicken breast and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot® and add one tablespoon of olive oil once hot. Add the seasoned chicken breasts and brown for 2-3 minutes on each side. (Work in batches, if necessary, adding more olive oil as necessary). Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the Instant Pot®, along with sliced mushrooms. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until mushrooms develop a nice golden brown color.
- Pour the chicken broth in to gently deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon in the process.
- Turn the unit off and return the chicken to the pot. Add the lid and lock it into place. Position the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 3 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding a small amount of the hot cooking liquid to it before stirring it directly into the pot. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with some of the creamy sauce spooned over the chicken and mushrooms. If not eating low-carb, serve over cooked pasta of choice. Enjoy!
- *You can also use chicken tenders or cutlets in place of the butterflied chicken breasts in this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 238mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal (not all are low carb):
- Appetizer: Hot Cajun Shrimp Dip For Mardi Gras & Game Nights!
- Soup: Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Salad: Classic Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing & Croutons
- Side Dish: Garlic and Chive Cauliflower Mash – A Low Carb Side Dish
- Beverage: Watermelon Kiwi Cocktail with White Wine
- Dessert: Mardi Gras Monkey Bread Recipe – A King Cake Twist!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.