Grilled Tuna Steaks are a great way to get your weekly fish intake. In this quick 20-minute recipe, the tuna steaks are topped with a delicious preserved lemon gremolata that is packed with flavor.
Serve simply with asparagus for a low-carb option, or add some boiled baby potatoes or rice on the side too.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Grilled Tuna Steaks
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
Tuna is a high-quality protein that is low in fat and full of essential amino acids that the body needs for growth and maintenance of lean muscle tissue.
This flavorful and healthy Mediterranean-inspired fish dish is ready in less than twenty minutes and is a delicious healthy meal for the summer months.
It features Italian gremolata – a simple green condiment made from a combination of fresh parsley, garlic, and lemon zest. This version also incorporates a nod to Moroccan cuisine with the addition of preserved lemon rind for a bit of extra flavor and visual interest.
What is Gremolata?
Gremolata is a green sauce made with just three ingredients – fresh parsley, lemon zest, and garlic. It is the standard accompaniment to the Milanese dish Ossobuco alla Milanese. Gremolata is also used as a garnish to top meat, poultry, seafood, and vegetables.
In this recipe, we’ve used preserved lemon rind for an added pop of flavor.
Preserved lemons are made by curing the fruit with salt. The sharpness of the citrus mellows, but the flavor intensifies and can add such a depth of flavor to dishes. Preserved lemons are a staple ingredient in Moroccan and North African dishes.
You can buy preserved lemons in jars in grocery stores, delis, or online. And you can actually make your own too!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Sushi-Grade Tuna Steaks
- Fresh Produce – Lemons, Flat-Leaf Parsley, Garlic
- Mediterranean-Spiced Sea Salt – this is a herb blend of garlic, basil, oregano, red bell pepper, lemon peel, and red pepper flakes.*
How To Make Mediterranean-Spiced Sea Salt
*If you can’t source this ingredient, it is very simple to make your own batch. Mix together the following herbs and spices and store in an airtight container – you may already have some of the ingredients on hand. Use in recipes as required, or to add the flavors of the Med to your food.
- 3 Tbsp Mediterranean Sea Salt
- 3 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 2 Tbsp Dried Lemon Zest/Peel
- 1 Tbsp Dried Red Bell Peppers
- 3 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 3 Tbsp Dried Garlic Granules
- ½ tsp Crushed Red Chili Flakes
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Tuna
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is tuna, so here are some more recipes using the same:
More Fish Recipes
Looking for more fish dishes to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Chili Lime Mahi-Mahi with Blackened Broccoli
- Lemon and Dill Salmon with Herb Salad (20-Minute Recipe!)
- Parmesan Haddock with Tomatoes & Basil Salad
- The tuna in this recipe can be cooked outside on a BBQ grill or in a grill pan on the stovetop. For best results, do not close grill lid while grilling tuna steaks.
How Do I Make Grilled Tuna Steaks?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 4 (6-oz/170g) sushi-grade tuna steaks, approximately 3/4” thick
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Mediterranean Spiced Sea Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 large lemons, cut in half
For the Gremolata
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, washed, dried thoroughly, and finely chopped
- 1 tsp organic lemon zest
- 2 t. preserved lemon rind, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Clean and spray grates of a gas grill with non-stick cooking spray and set heat to high. Close lid until grill comes to temperature. Alternatively, cook the tuna in a cast-iron grill pan on high heat.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gremolata by combining the parsley, lemon zest, preserved lemon rind, and garlic in a small bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with Mediterranean Spiced Sea Salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Open grill and place the tuna steaks and lemon halves over direct heat. Cook tuna for 2 minutes per side for rare. Increase time slightly for medium, but do not overcook.
- Remove the tuna steaks and grilled lemon halves from the heat and serve immediately topped with some gremolata. Serve with our grilled marinated asparagus or another side of your choice. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- McCormick Gourmet All Natural Mediterranean Spiced Sea Salt, 2.5 oz
- Mina Preserved Lemons, Authentic Moroccan Gourmet Preserved Beldi Lemons, 12.5 Ounce
- Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Grill Pan With Assist Handle, 10.5 inch, Black
- Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle, 16.75 Inch x 9.5 Inch, Black
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Appetizer: Amazing Oven Roasted Artichokes
- Side Dish: Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Side Vegetable: 15-Minute Grilled Marinated Asparagus with Italian Gremolata
- Beverage: Watermelon Kiwi Cocktail with White Wine
- Dessert: Mini Blueberry Cheesecakes with Crumble Topping
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!