Summer is all about lazy days with family and friends, basking in the sunshine, and enjoying a cocktail or two like these Frozen Strawberry Margaritas! Blend up frozen strawberries, tequila, and Cointreau, and serve a glass of this frozen beverage topped with a fresh strawberry (maybe one from your garden!).
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Frozen Strawberry Margaritas
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
One perk of making fruity frozen cocktails is that you don’t need to splurge on the most expensive liqueurs to achieve fantastic results.
However, you will need a good quality 100% blue agave Blanco (aka silver or white) tequila, and orange liqueur, such as Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or regular triple sec, and some fresh lime juice to pull it all together.
For kids and non-drinkers, there is a mocktail version included in the variation section.
Ingredients Used In This Cocktail
For your convenience, I’ve linked any specialized ingredients needed for this recipe to Amazon below.
- Frozen Strawberries
- Fresh Produce – Limes, Strawberries
- White Tequila – use your favorite brand.
- Cointreau – or another orange liqueur.
- Coarse Sugar – for glass rim.
- High-Powered Blender
How Do You
Salt Sugar the Rim of a Margarita Glass?
Traditionally, margaritas are served in the eponymous margarita glass, a stepped-diameter variant of a cocktail glass or champagne coupe.
The rim of the glass is often dipped in salt, but in this cocktail, you can use coarse sugar instead of salt.
You don’t have to use the margarita-shaped glasses for this cocktail – use any glass you have – we used mason jars. The method for adding
salt sugar to the rim of a glass is exactly the same!
- Pour some coarse sugar onto a small plate or saucer.
- Cut a wedge of lime and then cut a notch/sit into the flesh – and run it around the rim of the glass to add juice to the insider and outside edges.
- Dip the glass rim into the sugar and give it a twist or two.
- And you’re done!
You can actually buy cocktail rimming dishes online (there is a gadget for everything!) but a small plate or saucer will work just fine.
More Margaritas To Make
Want to make more margaritas? I think you’re going to love these ones:
- Fresh & Delicious Grapefruit Margaritas
- Frozen Mango Margaritas (Cocktail & Mocktail Versions!)
- Frozen Blueberry Margaritas – A Refreshing Adult Slush Drink!
- Hawaiian Margarita Cocktail
- Festive Cranberry Margaritas for Christmas Cocktail Parties!
- Christmas Margaritas
Strawberry Margarita Variations
I like to try and give variations on the cocktails shared on The Purple Pumpkin Blog, and especially turning the cocktail into a mocktail so that non-drinkers (and kids if suitable) can enjoy the drink too!
Virgin Strawberry Margarita Mocktail (non-alcoholic)
So that non-drinkers can enjoy this frozen beverage too, you simply leave out the alcohol and replace it with some fruit juices.
Non-drinking adults who still want the tequila flavor could experiment with a non-alcoholic alternative:
- If you’re in the US, you could try Ritual Tequila Alternative – a zero-alcohol tequila
- In the UK you could try Mockingbird which is alcohol-free and humbly mimicking the taste of Tequila by using authentic Mexican Blue Weber Agave.
To make a Virgin Strawberry Margarita Mocktail, follow the recipe card, but replace the ingredients described in Step #1 with those listed below.
- 1 (16-oz/450g) bag frozen strawberries
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (1-2 large oranges)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (3 large limes)
- 1/3 cup water
- Lime wheels and/or fresh strawberries, to garnish
- Ice or water, if needed, to adjust consistency after blending
- Coarse sugar and lime wedges to coat glass rim
- 1-2 Tbsp simple syrup (1-part sugar dissolved into 1-part warm water and cooled slightly), to sweeten
Big Batch Strawberry Margaritas
Want to make frozen margaritas for a crowd? It’s simple!
The recipe card makes 2 cocktails – simply multiply by as many as you need to get the quantities required, and blend in batches.
Or you could really splurge and invest in a Margaritaville Tahiti Frozen Concoction Maker – perfect for big parties!
This cocktail recipe is intended for adults of the legal drinking age in your country of residence. Please drink responsibly. Do not drink and drive.
How Do I Make Frozen Strawberry Margaritas?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, any pics don’t print to save your ink).
- 1 16-oz (450g) bag frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (2 large limes)
- 4 oz white tequila
- 2 oz orange-flavored liqueur, such as Cointreau
- Lime wheels and whole fresh strawberries, to garnish
- Ice or water, if needed, to adjust consistency after blending
- Coarse sugar and lime wedges to coat glass rim, optional
- Place half the frozen strawberries into a high-powered blender. Add lime juice, tequila, and orange-flavored liquor. Cover and blend on highest setting until smooth, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Remove vent cap on blender lid and add the remaining frozen strawberries one at a time while the blender is still running. Continue blending until all strawberries have been added and the mixture is completely smooth.
Note: For thicker margaritas, add some ice until desired consistency is reached. For a thinner consistency, add a little water.
- If adding sugar to the glass rim, pour sugar into a shallow dish, and rub lime around the rim of the glasses. Dip glasses into sugar.
- Pour into serving glasses and garnish with lime wheels and/or fresh strawberries right before serving. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 8gSugar: 29gProtein: 2g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
The beverage is covered, but what about other dishes to make this recipe into a full meal? Here are my suggestions!
- Appetizer: Spicy Mango Salsa with Tortilla Chips
- Main Dish: Cast Iron Carne Asada Bowl
- Dessert: Mango Lime Frozen Yogurt
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.