Classic Peanut Butter Cookies that are full of peanut butter and are soft yet chewy, salty yet sweet are really everything you want from a cookie! They are a remarkably simple cookie that has been around for generations and goes perfecty with a glass of milk!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required as well as understand the steps and timings involved.
If you have a hankering for a cookie snack, these classic peanut butter cookies are a recipe you should make – you may even have most of the ingredients in your pantry already!
The cookies can be made easily and quickly, and are ready in just 25 minutes – including prep!
You just have to wait a little bit for them to cool down – but warm cookies from the oven are just so good! Enjoy them with a glass of milk, or a cup or coffee, or even a hot chocolate – yum!
Peanut butter cookies have the iconic crosshatch mark on the top of them, and there is actually a reason for it, other than just a bit of decoration.
After the dough is rolled into balls, use a fork to gently press down and create cross marks.
By doing this, it ensures that the dense cookie dough will flatten out and bake evenly. Your cookies will turn out perfectly!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
You may have some of the ingredients for this recipe in your kitchen already – the full list with measurements is found in the recipe card.
For your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon if available online.
- Peanut Butter – you can’t have Peanut Butter Cookies without this ingredient! Use crunchy or smooth, your choice!
- Dairy Produce: Unsalted Butter and Eggs
- White Sugar
- Light Brown Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Flour – All-Purpose or Plain
- Baking Soda – also known as Bicarbonate of soda
- Baking Powder
This recipe uses American cups. They’re a handy piece of kitchen equipment to have along with a kitchen food scale. Having both in your kitchen means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog as I use both cups and weighted measures.
More Recipes Using Peanut Butter
One of the hero ingredients in this recipe is of course peanut butter, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Easy Peanut Butter Jelly Bars Recipe – A Tasty After School Snack!
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Brownies Recipe
- Peanut Butter Jelly Stuffed Cookies
More Cookie Recipes
Looking for more cookies to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe
- Iced Cherry Almond Cookies
- Delicious Caramel Apple Cookies with Chocolate Chips Recipe
Peanut Butter Cookies Using Cake Mix!
Did you know you can make cookies using cake mix? Well, you totally can!
So if you happen to have a box of cake mix in the pantry (and I’m sure we all have peanut butter in there too!) why not try this recipe out too?
- Simply take a box of yellow cake mix and add 1 cup of peanut butter, 2 eggs, and ½ cup vegetable oil.
- Mix to combine to a dough.
- Roll into about 15 cookies.
- Place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and use a fork to make the crosshatch marks on top.
- Bake at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 10-15 minutes.
- Cool before eating!
How Do I Make Classic Peanut Butter Cookies?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, instructions, and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- ½ cup / 130g peanut butter
- ½ cup / 110g unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup / 100g white sugar
- ½ cup / 100g packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups / 160g all purpose flour (plain flour)
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon, beat together the peanut butter, butter, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and egg until just combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and beat together to form a dough.
- Roll heaped tablespoons of dough into 1¼"/3cm balls and place on prepared cookie sheet about 3"/7.5cm apart as they will spread during cooking.
- Use a fork to create a criss-cross pattern on top of each ball of dough, pressing to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Black Bean Salsa Cups Appetizer
- Main Dish: Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas
- Side Dish: Homemade Guacamole
- Side Salad: Hot Mexican Rice Salad
- Beverage: Ginger Peach Iced Tea Recipe
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!