The holidays call for upscaling and the modest BLT shouldn’t be left out! So here we have the BLT With a Twist! Along with your usual BLT ingredients, you will also need a delicious homemade avocado spread made with Greek yogurt, cumin, lime, and garlic. And voila! A luxurious sandwich that is worthy of any festive snack occasion!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
BLT With a Twist
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Most sandwich “recipes” are actually just templates because there are so many options available in terms of bread, cheese, meat, vegetables, and condiments you can use.
However, when it comes to the much-loved bacon, lettuce, and tomato (BLT), any purist will tell you that there is one “true” way to make and enjoy their beloved sandwich: Super soft white bread, iceberg lettuce, mayonnaise, plus the requisite trifecta of sandwich-y goodness for which it is named. Delicious? Yes. A little boring? Most definitely.
So here we have the classic BLT with a twist! Super soft white bread is swapped out for delicious sourdough, and plain mayonnaise is replaced with a rich and creamy avocado spread, making your sandwiches even tastier than ever!
This take on the classic BLT adds flavor while still being simple enough for anyone to try at home. It’s perfect whether you’re looking for something new or just want to add some extra love into an old fave. Keep reading if you want to learn how easy it can be to step up your lunch game!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It may not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Protein – Bacon
- Fresh Produce – Avocado, Garlic, Lime, Lettuce, Tomatoes
- Dairy – Greek Yogurt, Butter
- Ground Cumin
- Sourdough Bread – or your bread of choice
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Avocado
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is avocado, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Pineapple and Shrimp Stuffed Avocados Make a Great Light Lunch
- Orange Pomegranate Salad with Goat Cheese, Avocado & Pecans
- Taco Stuffed Avocados – A Low Carb Tex-Mex Dinner Idea
More Sandwich Recipes
Looking for more sandwich ideas? Check these recipes out next:
- Shrimp Slaw Sandwich with Garlic Lemon Aioli
- BBQ Pork Sandwich with Grilled Apples + Slaw
- Lounza and Halloumi Greek Cypriot Sandwich
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.
- If possible, prepare the avocado spread in advance to give the flavors a chance to develop. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before using.
How Do I Make A BLT With A Twist ?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
For the Avocado Spread
- 1 large ripe avocado, cut into small chunks
- ½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 1½ Tbsp fresh lime juice (approximately ½ lime)
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
For the BLT
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 8 leaves lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place the avocado, Greek yogurt, and garlic in a medium bowl and combine thoroughly with a fork, leaving some small chunks of avocado in the mixture. Add the lime juice and cumin, and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and cover tightly. Set aside.
- Line a microwave-safe plate with paper towels and place the bacon strips on it. Cover the bacon with more paper towels and place in the microwave for 3-4 minutes on high, or until bacon is cooked through, but not too crispy. (Cook time will vary, so check after 2 minutes and adjust remaining time as needed).
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with the melted butter. Heat grill pan over medium heat and place bread, buttered side down, on the pan. Apply light pressure to each slice with a spatula, being careful not to move the bread in the process. Once nice grill marks have formed, remove them from heat and set them aside.
- Allow bread to cool slightly, then add avocado spread to 2 of the slices on the non-grilled side.
- Divide the lettuce, tomato, and cooked bacon slices between the two sandwiches and top each with the remaining pieces of grilled bread.
- Cut in half and serve immediately with your favorite side dish or potato chips. Enjoy!
Tip: If possible, prepare the avocado spread in advance to give the flavors a chance to develop. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired, before using.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 873Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 1690mgCarbohydrates: 87gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 13gSugar: 13gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 35g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.