Become a grill master this summer with these succulent Charcoal Grilled Pork Chops, generously seasoned with a fragrant blend of fresh herbs.
The combination of smoky flavors from the grill and the aromatic herb rub creates a mouthwatering experience that will have your taste buds dancing with delight.
Don’t have time for this recipe now? Tap the share icon in the bottom right of the screen, then tap the heart icon ♥ to save it for later!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
While you may prefer to skip to the recipe card, we suggest reading the entire blog post to avoid missing valuable tips and substitution suggestions and to ensure you have the necessary ingredients, equipment, and understanding of the steps and timings.
Charcoal Grilled Pork Chops
Imagine yourself in the backyard, surrounded by the irresistible aroma of sizzling meat on the grill.
The sound of crackling charcoal and the anticipation of juicy, tender pork chops seasoned to perfection create an atmosphere that is sure to ignite your appetite.
Whether it’s a summer barbecue, a cozy dinner party, or a gathering with friends and family, these charcoal grilled pork chops are a crowd-pleasing centerpiece that will leave everyone craving for more!
What makes these pork chops truly exceptional is the herb rub that infuses them with an explosion of fresh flavors.
The combination of basil, rosemary, thyme, and garlic forms a tantalizing crust on the outside, while the pork remains moist and succulent on the inside.
The smoky char from the grill enhances the herbs, creating a harmonious balance that will provide a taste sensation in every bite!
Reasons Why You’ll Love Charcoal Grilled Pork Chops!
- Grill Master Status: Impress your guests and showcase your grilling skills with these flavorful charcoal-grilled pork chops. The perfect sear and the enticing aroma will make you the hero of any barbecue or gathering.
- Herby Delight: The fresh herbs in the rub add a burst of aromatic flavors that elevate the taste of the pork chops. Each bite is a symphony of fragrant herbs combined with the rich, smoky essence from the grill.
- Versatile Main Dish: These versatile pork chops can be enjoyed as the star of a hearty dinner or a summer feast. Pair them with grilled summer veggies, a side salad, or your favorite barbecue sides for a complete and satisfying meal.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
For convenience, the required ingredients and equipment for this recipe are linked to online stores like Amazon or Amazon Fresh, if available.
Ingredients Needed For Charcoal Grilled Pork Chops
- Fresh Produce – Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic
- Protein – Bone-In Pork Chops
- Pantry – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sea Salt, Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt – in the UK, this is simply coarse sea salt.
The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card at the end of this post.
No time to read now? Tap the buttons below to save the recipe to your Pinterest boards or Facebook page for later!
Equipment Needed For This Recipe
The Purple Pumpkin Blog uses both cups and weighted measurements in its recipes, making American cups and kitchen food scales useful tools for trying out all the recipes. I provide US customary, imperial, and metric measurements, but it’s important to note that while you can combine cup measurements with weighted measures, never mix US customary/imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.) with metric (kilograms, grams, liters, etc.).
More Recipes Using Pork Chops
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is pork chops, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Sweet & Sour Pork Chops with Peppers & Pineapple
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Sheet Pan Pork Chops with Roasted Grapes and Fennel
How Do I Make Charcoal Grilled Pork Chops?
The printable recipe card with the full ingredients list and instructions can be found at the end of this post.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 8 minutes | Resting Time: 5 minutes | Total Time: 23 minutes
We cooked the pork chops over charcoal, but this recipe can also be cooked on a gas grill or a grill pan on the stovetop.
Step 1 – Make Herb Rub: Place kosher salt, basil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and pepper into a small bowl and stir to combine.
Rub the mixture over all pork chops until thoroughly covered on all sides.
Step 2 – Grill Pork Chops: Preheat your grill to approximately medium heat and lightly oil the grates.
Place the pork chops (covered if possible) over direct heat for 6 – 8 minutes, turning once.
TIP! Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chops, which should be 145˚F/62°C at the thickest portion. If your pork chops are thicker or thinner than 1″/2.5cm, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Step 3 – Rest & Serve: Remove pork chops from heat, cover and let rest for 3 – 5 minutes before serving.
These pork chops are great served with freshly grilled summer veggies and a side salad. Enjoy!
More Grilling Recipes
Looking for more grilling recipes? Try these:
- Grilled Balsamic Marinated Sirloin Steak Recipe
- Grilled Lamb Loin Chops with Herbes de Provence Crust
- Garlic-Chili Swordfish with Grilled Pineapple and Papaya
- This recipe uses a classic fresh herb combination of basil, thyme, and rosemary. Feel free to modify the amounts and substitute them with your preferred flavors to cater to your personal taste.
- Additionally, you can cut up any surplus herbs and combine them with softened butter for a delectable flavor enhancer that pairs perfectly with various meats and vegetables.
- For perfectly cooked, tender, and juicy pork chops, opt for medium direct heat while grilling, ensuring an even cooking process that maintains the flavors both on the inside and outside of the chops.
- When cooking pork chops, aim for an internal temperature of 145°F/63°C at the thickest part, which is easily confirmed using an instant-read meat thermometer. At this temperature, your pork chop will be tender and juicy, with a slight pink hue while the juices run clear.
Storing Leftovers & Freezing
- Storing Leftovers:
- If you have any leftovers, store the grilled pork chops in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be enjoyed within 2-3 days. To retain their juiciness and flavor, reheat them gently in a skillet over low heat, or you can also enjoy them cold in sandwiches or salads.
- Freezing Instructions:
- Cool completely and wrap in a double layer of plastic wrap and a layer of foil to help prevent freezer burn and eliminate unwanted freezer smells. Or to an airtight, freezer-safe container and place in the freezer.
- Label with the name of the dish, thawing/reheating instructions, and the date to keep track of your food storage.
- Grilled pork chops will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To defrost the grilled pork chops, unwrap them completely and place them in the fridge to thaw overnight (or at least 12 hours).
- Reheat, covered in the oven (350°F/180°/Gas 4) until piping hot throughout. Bear in mind that when you thaw and then reheat grilled pork chops, you may end up overcooking them a little.
- With all leftovers, ensure the food looks and smells okay before consuming.
- Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart for Cooking
- You can always consult the Food Standards Agency in your country for the most up-to-date advice on storing and freezing foods: Food Standards Agency (UK) | Food Safety (USA).
Printable Charcoal Grilled Pork Chops Recipe Card
To save ink, any demonstration photos on the recipe card do not print.
- 1½ Tbsp kosher salt
- 5-6 large basil leaves, sliced
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped from stems and chopped
- 2½ Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Black Pepper, coarsely ground, to taste
- 4 bone-in pork chops, approximately 1"/2.5cm thick
- Place kosher salt, basil, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and pepper into a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub the mixture over all pork chops until thoroughly covered on all sides.
- Preheat your grill to approximately medium heat and lightly oil the grates. Place the pork chops (covered if possible) over direct heat for 6 – 8 minutes, turning once.
TIP! Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chops, which should be 145˚F/62°C at the thickest portion. If your pork chops are thicker or thinner than 1"/2.5cm, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Remove pork chops from heat, cover, and let rest for 3 - 5 minutes before serving. These pork chops are great served with freshly grilled summer veggies and a side salad. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 1503mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 41g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Dinner Party Menu Suggestions
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: Cucumber Feta Watermelon Skewers
- Soup: Vichyssoise Recipe- A Chilled Creamy Leek & Potato Soup
- Salad: Fig and Roasted Fennel Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Side Dish: Grilled Corn on the Cob with Herb & Parmesan Butter
- Beverage: Mixed Berry Margaritas with Grand Marnier & Fresh Berries
- Dessert: Mini Piña Colada Cheesecakes with Rum and Sweet Pineapple Topping
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.