Detox day two’s dinner was a very tasty Veggie, Almond & Chickpea Quinoa Pilaf.
Quinoa (which I used to say exactly how it is spelled, but is really pronounced KEEN-wah) is a grain like crop, and whilst, I didn’t enjoy it much the first time I did a detox (about 4/5 years ago) I enjoy it this time around! Why not give it a try.
You can by quinoa in health food stores, and even in supermarkets these days – that’s where I bought my packet!
- 1 courgette, halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ tbsp flaked almonds (lightly toasted)
- 1½ tbsp pumpkin seeds (lightly toasted)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 350 ml vegetable stock
- 110g quinoa
- 100g cooked chickpeas
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onions and garlic, with the spices for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the peppers and courgettes and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the quinoa, chickpeas and stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Take off the heat and leave to steam for 5 minutes.
- Stir in one tablespoon each of the almonds and pumpkin seeds and then divide the pilaf between two plates.
- Sprinkle the chopped coriander and remaining almonds and pumpkin seeds on top and serve immediately.
Disclaimer: Please remember, I’m not a dietitian I follow and tweak recipes, or create my own. Calorie counts (if applicable) are worked out using resources online. Always check with your doctor before going on any weight loss programme.