I made this Veg & Five Bean Soup for dinner last night and it was de-li-cious! Even better, at around 1600 calories for the whole pot, one portion works out to be around 200 calories – guilt free eating!
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 x 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can butter beans, drained
- 1 x 400g can canellini beans, drained
- 1 x 400g can black eyed beans, drained
- 1 x 400g can pinto beans, drained
- 1 x 400g can borlotti beans, drained
- 3 tsp dried basil
- one/low cal oil spray
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large saucepan and spray with a little oil spray. Add the chopped onions, garlic, carrots and courgettes and sweat down for about 5 minutes.
- Add all the drained beans and the chopped tomatoes and stir.
- Sprinkle in the basil and season with as much black pepper as you like.
- Add the vegetable stock (or one litre of water and a few stock cubes)
- Bring to the boil and simmer for half an hour until the vegetables are tender.
Disclaimer: Please remember, I’m not a dietician, I follow and tweak recipes, or create my own and work out the calorie content using resources online. Always check with your doctor before going on any weight loss programme.