Need a sweet treat for bake sales, pot lucks, or friends over during the Easter period? Then we have you covered with these adorable Baby Chick Cupcakes! Guests and friends will think your creative flare has been at work for hours when in reality, these cupcakes are deceptively easy!
I’ve got lots of fun and easy Cupcake Recipes for you to try out – right-click and open in a new tab to read next.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Baby Chick Cupcakes
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
If you need an Easter dessert that will make everyone smile, look no further than these darling cupcakes!
Made to look like little chicks, they’re unexpectedly easy to decorate. The best part is that they taste as good as they look.
So whether you’re hosting an Easter party or looking for a festive dessert to bring to a potluck, give these chick cupcakes a try.
The cupcakes are made using a box of yellow cake mix, but you could use a vanilla cupcake recipe and color them yellow with food coloring gel.
Swirls of canned yellow frosting form the baby chick cupcakes, and they are so fun to make, even the kids will want to have a go!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
For your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed to make these cupcakes have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. Standard ingredients such as flour or sugar are not listed, as you are likely to have those in your kitchen. The full list with measurements is found in the recipe card.
Cupcakes & Frosting Ingredients
- Box of Yellow Cake Mix – plus the ingredients to make the cake mix, usually eggs, oil, and water.
- Yellow Frosting – you can use ready-made or use your favorite frosting recipe colored yellow.
- Yellow Sanding Sugar
- Wilton Orange Icing Pouch (or Tube) – to pipe the features onto the chicks.
- Mini Chocolate Chips – to make the chick’s eyes.
Cupcake Decorating Equipment
- Large Piping Bag – you can use disposable or reuseable, your choice.
- Large Round Piping Tip – for example, Wilton 1A, optional, you can snip the end off the disposable piping bag instead.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog! I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
Baby Chick Cupcakes Recipe Tips
Cupcake Making Tips
- These cupcakes are made using a box of cake mix, but you can prepare your favorite cupcake recipe if you prefer. (Or use the Best Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe)
- Use your choice of cupcake liners – themed to the cupcakes, plain white or black, or a complimentary color.
- Use an ice cream scoop to equally divide the cupcake mixture between the cupcake liners. Fill them about three-quarters full.
- The cupcakes should be ready in about 20 minutes – test their doneness by inserting a toothpick into the cakes. It should come out clean when the cupcakes are cooked all the way through. Bake for an extra 2 minutes and check again.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Use a piping bag with a large round piping tip attached, or with the end snipped off if you don’t have piping tips.
More Easter Cupcake Recipes
Looking for more Easter cupcakes to make? Check these recipes out next:
How Do I Make Baby Chick Cupcakes?
Just check out the recipe card below with full ingredients, and instructions. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink).
For the Cupcakes
- 1 (15.25oz) box of yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- Can of yellow frosting
- Yellow decorating/sanding sugar
- Orange decorating Icing
- Mini chocolate chips
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 (or according to box instructions). Line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners and set them aside.
- Using an electric handheld or stand mixer, place the cake mix, eggs, oil, and water into a large bowl and mix until combined and smooth.
- Use an ice cream scoop to divide the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Place yellow frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle such as Wilton #1A and pipe a swirl of frosting on top of each cooked and cooled cupcake.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Press two mini chocolate chips into the frosting for the chick's eyes.
- Using the orange decorating icing, pipe an upside-down triangle for the chick's beak, upside-down 'V' shapes for its feet, and a squiggle on top.
- Enjoy and Happy Spring!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Appetizer: These Deluxe Deviled Eggs Are Always A Crowd-Pleaser!
- Soup: Authentic Greek-Cypriot Avgolemono – Egg Lemon Soup
- Salad: Classic Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing & Croutons
- Main Dish: How to Make Lemon Pepper Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
- Side Dish: 30-Minute Blackened Broccoli Recipe
- Beverage: Blackberry Vodka Cocktail
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!