Whenever I cook chilli con carne, I tend to do it on the hob, using a packet mix. I thought it’s high time I cooked it completely from scratch, and did so for my Halloween family get together at the weekend. I also used the slow cooker to prepare it low and slow and I have to say, I was rather pleased with the end result!
Don’t have time for this recipe now? Be sure to tap the heart icon ♥ in the bottom right of the screen to save this post for later!
I started by cooking off onions, garlic and bell pepper (I used small ones and a mixture of colours) in a pan, before browning off the mince and adding spices. That then got transferred to the slow cooker with 3 kinds of beans, tinned tomatoes, beef stock and pumpkin. I cooked it on low for about 7 hours, and the flavour was so good! Another winner with my crowd!
We have a collection of 70+ Mexican and Tex-Mex Recipes for you to try out! Right-click and open them in a new tab to read next.
Slow Cooker Beef, Bean & Pumpkin Chilli Con Carne
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 kg beef mince
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsps salt
- 6 heaped tsps mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 x 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can gungo peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 300g fresh pumpkin, shredded
- 450ml beef stock
To serve (optional!)
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- grated cheese
- salsa fresca
- diced red onion
- sliced jalapeño peppers
- Switch your slow cooker onto high.
- Add the oil to a large pan and gently fry the onions, garlic and bell pepper for a few minutes.
- Add the beef mince and cook until browned.
- Stir in the tomato purée, salt and the herbs and spices.
- Pour this mixture into the slow cooker and add the beans, chopped tomatoes, fresh pumpkin and beef stock.
- Turn your slow cooker down to low and cook for 7 – 8 hours.
- Serve with your choice of rice or tortilla chips and topped with any of the suggested toppings.
This recipe is definitely a keeper for me! I loved that apart from “work” of browning off the mince, I could just throw it all into the slow cooker and forget about it all day long. I used the particular beans in this recipe as there was a special offer in the supermarket for 3 for the price of 2, so that’s what I picked up – use any combo of beans you like!
For more seasonal food, check out The Ultimate List of Autumn Recipes for the Fall Season! Right-click and open a new tab to read next.