If the colors of your nation’s flag are red, white, and blue and want to craft something to decorate your home with, this Patriotic Wreath Craft using felt scraps is for you! It is perfect to hang up for Independence Day, Bastille Day, or something else entirely like a sporting event or national celebration!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Patriotic Wreath Craft
The full list of materials, tools, and instructions are found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have everything required and understand the steps and timings involved.
This patriotic wreath craft uses a variety of red, white, and blue felt strips that are tied onto an embroidery hoop, creating a a fun and fringy wreath that is perfect to show your patriotic spirit year-round! It’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3!
It is also the perfect craft project to keep little hands busy, while learning to tie knots. Change up the colors to match your home décor or a variety of holidays. Use up fabric and ribbon scraps as well as felt.
Another great thing about this craft idea is that it’s very budget-friendly using supplies you may have, or can be purchased at a dollar store.*
Cheap Craft Supplies
If you’re in the USA, check out your local Dollar Store or Dollar Tree; and if you’re in the UK, the Poundshop, The Range, Wilko, and Baker Ross are great places to shop for cheap and inexpensive craft supplies. The rest of the world reading this – I don’t know every cheap store – sorry! But hunt the ones out in your location for crafting bargains!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
The complete list of supplies, which may include basic crafting items that you already have can be found in the tutorial card at the end of this post. For your convenience, I’ve linked any notable materials and tools needed for this project to Amazon below.
- Felt Craft Sheets – 9″ by 12″ in Red, Red with White Polka Dots, White, Neon Blue, Ocean Blue, OR any colors you have on hand! (Pictured is Kunin Classic craft felt that is sold at Joann, Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, and Walmart)
- Wooden Embroidery Hoop – you will need one that is 10″/25cm.
- Twine – (or ribbon) to use as a hanger.
- Scissors – sharp for cutting fabric.
More Red, White & Blue Crafts
Looking for more patriotic crafts? Here are some more for you to check out! Just right-click and open in a new tab to read next!
- Red, White & Blue Paper Flower Wreath
- Make These Patriotic Pinwheels for 4th of July!
- Patriotic Paper Banner Craft for the 4th of July!
- 30+ Awesome Patriotic Crafts for the Whole Family!
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home that you can try!
How Do I Make a Patriotic Wreath with Felt Scraps?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- Felt Craft Sheets 9” by 12” – Red, Red with White Polka Dots, White, Neon Blue, Ocean Blue, OR any colors you have on hand*
- 1 (10"/25cm ) Wooden Embroidery Hoop
- Twine (or ribbon)
- Gather all supplies. Remove the label from the embroidery hoop. Organize all the colors of the felt scraps. Use the colors of red, white, and blue felt that you like best. This wreath would be fun to do in a color blocked or flag order.
- For this project, use 9″/22.5cm width of felt. Make a stack of bits and pieces that are big enough. Randomly cut the scraps of felt into strips, some skinny and some fat, with scissors. For this 10″ hoop you will need approximately 100 strips.
- Start tying the strips of felt around the embroidery hoop in double knots. Use the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock marks as a starting point. Continue working around the entire hoop, pushing the strips together to get as many tied on as possible. The more scrap strips tied onto the hoop the fluffier the wreath will be. To finish the Patriotic Felt Scrap Wreath, tie a ribbon or twine hanger onto the screw at the top of the embroidery hoop.
*Pictured are Kunin Classic Felt Craft Sheets that is sold at Joann, Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, and Walmart
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.