Spend some creative time with your little ones and craft this cute Pompom Panda! Using pompoms, felt, googly eyes, and glue, this giant panda craft can be done in under 30 minutes. Follow along and find out just how easy and enjoyable this craft project is!
Don’t have time for this craft now? Be sure to tap the heart icon in the bottom right of the screen to save this post for later!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The full list of materials, tools, and instructions is in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have everything required and understand the steps and timings involved.
This pompom panda craft would be ideal for making as part of learning about animals or about China, which is the only country where giant pandas are native.
Giant pandas that you may see in zoos around the world are actually on loan from China.
They are the rarest member of the bear family and among the world’s most threatened animals, with less than 2000 living in the world, and a further 600 in zoos and breeding centers.
The panda craft activity is simple enough for even the youngest of children (with some adult help) and for older kids to do on their own.
No time to craft now? Save to your Pinterest boards for later!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
For your convenience, I’ve linked [some of] the materials and tools needed for this project to Amazon below. The quantities are on the craft tutorial card at the end of this post.
Cheap Craft Supplies
A great thing about this craft idea is that it can be budget-friendly using supplies you may already have or can be purchased cheaply in stores:
If you’re in the USA, check out your local Dollar Store or Dollar Tree; and if you’re in the UK, the Poundshop, The Range, Wilko, and Baker Ross are great places to shop for cheap and inexpensive craft supplies.
To the rest of the world reading this – I don’t know every cheap store out there – sorry! But please do hunt the ones out in your location for crafting bargains!
More Animals Crafts
Want to try some more animal crafts? I think you’ll love these:
- Adorable Purple Pompom & Pipe Cleaner Octopus Craft!
- A Fun Cute Pipe Cleaner & Pompom Goldfish Craft For Kids
- Cute Pom Pom & Pipe Cleaner Frog Craft!
- Pom Pom and Pipe Cleaner Swan Craft
- Kid-Friendly Long-Legged Pipe Cleaner Spiders Craft for Halloween!
- Pipe Cleaner & Pom Pom Reindeer Craft
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home for you to try!
Fun Facts About Giant Pandas
- Giant pandas poop about 40 times a day!
- Pandas are famous for eating bamboo, but their digestive system is carnivore so 1% of their diet includes eggs, fish, and small animals.
- They are known for foraging farmland for pumpkin, kidney beans, wheat, and domestic pig food.
- Speaking of food, giant pandas spend 10-16 hours a day feeding!
- Giant pandas are good swimmers and excellent tree climbers.
- They live for about 18-20 years, in the wild, and up to 30 years in captivity.
- Pandas are 4-5ft (1.2-1.5m) tall and weigh about 300lbs(135kg)
- They are shy animals and don’t venture into areas where humans live.
- The black and white colors of Giant Pandas are good for camouflage.
- The white of their coats helps pandas hide in the snow, and the black helps them blend into the shadows of the forest.
How Do I Make A Pompom Panda?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- White pompoms - 1 large, 1 medium, and 1 extra small
- Black pompoms - 4 small and 2 extra small
- Black felt (1.5" square)
- Googly eyes
- Tacky Glue
- Glue four small black pompoms onto a large white pompom to form the body and legs. Position two on either side of the white pompom, one towards the top and one towards the bottom. Use the photo below as a placement guide.
- Glue two extra-small black pompoms onto the top of the medium white pompom to form the ears, and a white extra-small pompom on the front as a muzzle.
- Cut out two ovals and one small triangle from black felt, and glue the googly eyes to the ovals. Glue the small triangle on the end of the muzzle for the nose, and then glue the eyes above the muzzle.
- To finish, glue the body and face to the head. Leave everything to dry completely.