We are just suckers for cute little pipe cleaner creatures and this adorable Pipe Cleaner Octopus Craft is the ideal summertime activity for you and the kids. Grab your supplies and get creative in just 30 minutes!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Pipe Cleaner Octopus Craft
The full list of materials, tools, and instructions is found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have everything required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Have you ever made a pipe cleaner octopus before? They’re so much fun and really easy to make!
In this post, we show you how to make a super cute purple pompom and pipe cleaner octopus. (But you could make your octopus any color you like!)
This is a great activity for kids of all ages, and you may already have all the craft supplies you need in your stash.
Ready to get started? Let’s go!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
For your convenience, I’ve linked any notable materials and tools needed for this project to Amazon below. (It may not include basic crafting supplies such as glue or scissors, as you may already have those.) The complete list of ALL supplies required can be found on the tutorial card at the end of this post.
- Large Pompom – our octopus is purple, but you can make your octopus any color you like!
- Pipe Cleaners – color to match the pompom
- Googly Eyes
Cheap Craft Supplies
A great thing about this craft idea is that it’s budget-friendly using supplies you may already have or can be purchased cheaply in stores:
If you’re in the USA, check out your local Dollar Store or Dollar Tree; and if you’re in the UK, the Poundshop, The Range, Wilko, and Baker Ross are great places to shop for cheap and inexpensive craft supplies. The rest of the world reading this – I don’t know every cheap store – sorry! But hunt the ones out in your location for crafting bargains!
More Animal Crafts
Looking for more animal crafts? Here are some more for you to check out – right-click and open a new tab to read next!
- Cute Pom Pom & Pipe Cleaner Frog Craft!
- A Fun Cute Pipe Cleaner & Pompom Goldfish Craft For Kids
- Pom Pom and Pipe Cleaner Swan Craft
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home for you to try!
Fun Facts About Octopuses
- Octopuses are invertebrates which means they have no skeleton.
- Because they have no skeleton they can squeeze into very tight spaces.
- Octopuses have three hearts.
- An octopus has a hard beak, like a parrot beak, which they use to break into and eat their prey such as crabs and shellfish.
- Octopuses usually live for 6 – 18 months.
- There are around 300 species of octopus, usually located in tropical and temperate ocean waters.
- Octopuses have eight long limbs called tentacles that have two rows of sucker senses.
- An octopus can grow a new limb if one is lost.
- The giant Pacific octopus is the largest living species of octopus. Their average adult weight is 33 pounds (15 kg). The largest recorded size of a giant Pacific octopus was 156 pounds (70 kg)
- Octopuses appear to be very intelligent and most likely the smartest invertebrate.
How Do I Make A Pipe Cleaner Octopus?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- Tacky Glue
- Cut both purple pipe cleaners in half.
- Bend each piece of pipe cleaner in half and twist all four together to form 8 tentacles.
- Glue the purple pompom onto the tentacles and stick the googly eyes onto the pompom.
- Curl the ends of the pipe cleaner tentacles in different directions and your octopus is done!