I’ll start with the guacamole, which is simply avocados, red chillies, red onion, lime juice and salt. I always just eyeball this recipe – which I knocked up one time when I forgot to buy ready-made guacamole at the supermarket…I’ll never buy that gunk again! The awesome thing about this recipe is that I have NEVER had the guacamole go brown on me – which is due to the amount of lime juice I tend to put in, and making sure it is well mixed in!
One blurry pic coming up…
Serves 4 – 6
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
- juice of 1 – 2 limes (to taste)
- Halve and stone the avocados
- Scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash up with a fork
- Stir in the chopped chilli and onion
- Squeeze in the lime juice to taste and season with salt
And now, for my nachos. I have no idea what authentic nachos are supposed to be like…this is one of the ways I make nachos, always a hit, and the huge bowl I make of them is ALWAYS cleared! So easy to put together… everything is ready made – a bag of tortilla chips (I use cool blue), a jar of salsa (however hot you like!), a jar of jalapeños and ready-grate cheese (yeah, I can be lazy!)
I can only call this the tip, spoon, sprinkle, place, grill method…completed in 5 easy steps!
TIP the bag of tortilla chips into a big shallow bowl – I have one that has now become my nacho bowl. You could use a heatproof dish of any kind as long as it’s shallow-ish. A big plate or platter even…
SPOON the tomato salsa over the chips – ensuring a nice even spread so everyone gets a taste.
SPRINKLE grated cheese over the top. Be as generous (or un-generous!) as you like. Our nachos are cheeeesy! I tend to use Cheddar.
PLACE slices of jalapeños on top – as many as you like. I sometimes use fresh chillies – depends what I have to hand.
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 big bag of tortilla chips
- 1 jar of ready made salsa
- A few handfuls of grated cheese
- jarred or fresh jalapeño slices
- Tip the tortilla chips into a big shallow heatproof bowl (or big plate – whatever you have to hand)
- Spoon out the salsa on top of the tortilla chips, ensuring a nice even spread
- Sprinkle over grated cheese
- Place slices of jalapeño on top
- Grill under a hot grill until the cheese is melted, bubbly and golden
- Serve immediately with guacamole and sour cream