Make these easy Easter Thumbprint Cookies with Cadbury’s Mini Eggs as a yummy treat to enjoy this Easter! They would also make a tasty edible gift, or as an extra reward after an Easter Scavenger Hunt!
I’ve got lots more Easter Recipes for you – right-click and open them up to read next!
Easter Thumbprint Cookies
These pretty little cookies are really easy to make and a perfect treat for the Easter holidays.
The vanilla cookie dough is rolled into 1-inch balls and then the signature thumbprint of these cookies help to flatten them down for baking.
Traditionally you would use your thumb, but the back of a teaspoon measuring spoon works really well too!
After baking the Easter cookies are filled with a chocolate ganache and topped with a Cadbury’s Mini Egg candy.
If you are unable to source the ingredients to make ganache you can always melt some chocolate and use that instead.
A plate of these thumbprint cookies to enjoy with a glass of milk or a cup of hot tea or coffee is just what the Easter Bunny ordered!
Ingredients used in this recipe
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post, but here is a brief outline so you know what to expect from the recipe.
I highly recommend always reading a recipe all the way through before starting.
Alongside regular baking ingredients like butter, flour, sugar, etc., you will need some more specialized ingredients which I’ve linked below to Amazon for your convenience.
- Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Chips
- Heavy Whipping Cream – double cream in the UK
- Cadbury’s Mini Eggs – if you can’t find these, then any type of mini egg candy will do!
Make It A Meal!
You’ve made the cookies for dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal!
- Appetizer: Leek & Potato Soup
- Main Dish: Easter Roast Lamb
- Beverage: Prosecco Cocktail with Blackberry, Elderflower & Basil
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy! Please feel free to check them out too.
More Cookies Recipes
Want to make more cookies? Take a look at these recipes next:
Know someone who would love this recipe? Why not forward it onto them by email or WhatsApp?
For the Cookies
- 2¼ cups all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Topping
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (double cream)
- 24 Cadbury's Mini Eggs
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and place a baking mat or parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium mixing bowl. Set aside
- Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and use a hand or stand mixer to cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla, continuing to mix until well blended.
- Add half the flour mixture and beat until smooth, add the remainder of the flour mixture and beat just until the dough forms moist clumps.
- Form the dough into a ball.
- Pinch off the dough and form 1 inch balls, placing them onto the prepared baking sheet 1-1½-inches apart.
- Create a depression in the center of each ball with your thumb or use the back of a floured teaspoon measuring spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate ganache topping place the chocolate chips into a heat-proof bowl and set aside.
- Place the cream into a small heavy-based saucepan on medium-high heat until steaming.
- Remove cream from the heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Allow to sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth.
- Pour ganache into a squeeze bottle.
- Fill the thumbprint indentations with the ganache.
- Top each cookie with a Mini Egg and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes.
There is also a slideshow video over on my YouTube channel that you can watch and save to your Playlists for future reference. (Don’t forget to subscribe while you are there!)