Liven up your dinner by serving Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce. Made with ingredients including red wine vinegar, fresh parsley, garlic, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice, this herby, spicy sauce pairs perfectly with grilled meats, and especially steak!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Flank steak is a great cut of meat for grilling – it’s relatively affordable and holds up well to high temperatures.
However, because this cut of beef is so lean, it can become dry and tough if cooked too long or sliced too thickly. It’s best to cook flank to medium and slice it very thinly against the grain.
In this recipe, we marinate the steak in lime juice, garlic, and olive oil, then cook it in a hot skillet (or you could cook it on a grill) to a medium-rare (which is just perfect for flank steak).
The finishing touch is a zesty chimichurri sauce made with fresh herbs, garlic, and red wine vinegar.
Chimichurri is an uncooked sauce from Argentina, used both as an ingredient and as a condiment for different types of grilled meat.
For the best flavor, prepare the Chimichurri sauce and marinate the flank steaks the night before. You’ll be glad you did!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. Staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., aren’t always included here as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ALL ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card.
- Fresh Produce – Parsley, Cilantro (Fresh Coriander), Garlic, Lemons, Limes
- Protein – Flank Steak
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Ground Cumin
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Steak
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is steak, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Quick & Easy Steak Street Tacos with Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 5-Ingredient Herb Mustard Sirloin Steak Recipe
- Cast Iron Ribeye Steak with Green Herb Sauce
More Sauce Recipes
Looking for more dishes with sauces to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs with Dark Cherry BBQ Sauce
- Quick & Easy Chicken in Peach Sauce with Rice
How Do I Make Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
For the Chimichurri Sauce
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- ¾ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs (700g) flank steak, sliced into thin strips
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Make the chimichurri sauce by combining the olive oil, vinegar, parsley, cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and cumin in a food processor and blending until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place in an airtight container in the fridge until required.
- In a small glass bowl, whisk the olive oil, lime juice, and chopped garlic with a fork. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Place the flank steak in a large, sealable plastic bag and add the olive oil mixture. Tightly seal the bag and turn a couple times to coat the steak in the marinade. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to overnight.
- To prepare, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the steak from the marinade and allow excess to drip off before adding to the hot skillet. Cook the steak for 3-4 minutes, then turn and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes for medium-rare results. Adjust cooking times to reach the desired level of doneness.
- Remove from heat and transfer steak to a cutting surface. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into very thin slices against the grain.
- To serve, drizzle steak with some Chimichurri sauce and pass remaining sauce for those who prefer a little more. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 644Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 44gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 23g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the main dish, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: How to Make the Ultimate Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Soup: 30-Minute Instant Pot Tomato Soup Recipe
- Salad: Classic Caesar Salad with Homemade Dressing & Croutons
- Side Dish: Greek-Style Lemon Potatoes
- Beverage: Watermelon Lime Spritzer
- Dessert: Mini Blueberry Cheesecakes with Crumble Topping
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.