To celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Disney movie Pocahontas, why not make this John Smith & Pocahontas Craft – a fun Disney craft for all ages! Use the free printable template and construction paper to make these awesome paper ornaments to hang in your home – or on your Christmas tree! (I am just scraping in with Christmas in July!)
John Smith & Pocahontas Craft
Pocahontas is a 1995 American animated musical romantic drama film loosely based on the life of the Native American woman Pocahontas. It portrays a fictionalized account of her historical encounter with Englishman John Smith and the Jamestown settlers that arrived from the Virginia Company. The film was produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures on June 16, 1995. It is the 33rd Disney animated feature film and the sixth film produced and released during the period known as the Disney Renaissance.Wikipedia
I shared a ton of Disney ornaments last Christmas and was saving these Pocahontas ornaments to share for this year. However, with the recent 25th Anniversary of Disney’s Pocahontas, I thought it was an ideal time to pull it out of the archives and share it with you!
The ornaments are ridiculously easy to make, and kids and adults alike will have so much fun assembling them.
With a free printable template (it’s a two-for-one with both John Smith & Pocahontas in one download) that you print onto different color construction paper, you simply cut and stick the pieces together!
To add some sparkle, you can add glitter to parts of your ornament, but this is purely optional – they look fab with and without glitter.
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
Full instructions are found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post, but here is a quick outline so you know what to expect from the craft. I highly recommend always reading everything all the way through before starting any project so you understand all the steps required.
A few simple craft supplies are needed for this paper ornament:
- Construction Paper in the following colors: Flesh, Gray, Brown, Tan, Light Tan, Teal, Yellow, Dark Blue, Light Blue, Black,
- Teal or Turquoise (Fine) Glitter – optional
- Brown or Bronze (Fine) Glitter – optional
- Dark Blue (Fine) Glitter – optional
- School Glue/White PVA Glue
- Glue Stick
- Black String or Ribbon – for hanging your completed ornament
- Laminator – optional, but you can laminate your ornaments if you wish
- John Smith & Pocahontas Ornament Template
- You will find the template download links before the tutorial card and surrounded by a purple box. Tap the purple download buttons to save the file(s) to your device.
- Printables are available in two paper sizes – A4 and US Letter (8.5″ x 11″). Download the size that is appropriate for your printer.
John Smith & Pocahontas Craft Tips
- Print the template onto the suggested colored construction paper and cut the pieces out. (But you could use any colors you want!)
- If construction paper won’t go through your printer, you could print onto regular paper and trace around the pieces onto the colored paper or cardstock. You will have to add any detail with a black marker pen.
- Another option is to print onto white paper and color the pieces in with crayons, pens, paints or pencils.
- Cut all the pieces out and lay them where they should go before sticking down with glue.
- An optional extra is adding glitter: apply white school glue to the parts you want to add some sparkle, sprinkle glitter on top, shake off the excess and leave to dry.
- Stick a loop of black string or ribbon to the back of the ornaments. Cover the fixings with a piece of cardstock to hide them. Leave everything to dry completely before hanging on your tree.
- If you want the decorations to last longer, you could run them through a laminator before attaching the hanging loop. When cutting out after laminating the ornaments, make sure you leave a slight edge so that the laminating sheets do not come apart!
Download Pocahontas & John Smith Ornaments Template
Click the download link to save the printable file(s) to your computer.
The Shop opens in a new tab/window.
Visit The Purple Pumpkin Shop for both premium and FREE printables that you won’t find on my main blog!
How Do I Make a John Smith & Pocahontas Ornaments?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, instructions, and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- Construction Paper or Cardstock in the following colors: Skin Tone, Gray, Brown, Tan, Light Tan, Teal, Yellow, Dark Blue, Light Blue, Black,
- Teal, Brown & Dark Blue Fine Glitter (optional)
- Black String or Ribbon
- White School Glue (PVA Glue)
- Glue Stick
- Laminator & Laminating Sheets (optional)
- Download and print out the ornament template onto corresponding colored papers (Link in the blog post). Cut out and set aside.
- Space the ears evenly apart and stick behind the top of the head with a glue stick.
- Lay the other pieces out before sticking in place with a glue stick.
- If you are adding glitter, apply white school glue to the parts you want to add sparkle to and sprinkle the glitter over. Shake off the excess and leave to dry.
- Finally, form a hanging loop with a piece of string or ribbon and stick to the back of the ornament.
- You can add another circle of construction paper to the back of the ornament to hide your workings if you wish.
- If you want, you can laminate the ornaments so that it lasts longer. Before attaching the loop, run it through a laminator and cut away the excess. Make sure you leave a slight edge as you cut it out so that the laminating sheets don't fall away! Attach the loop to back.
- Hang your John Smith & Pocahontas ornaments on your Christmas tree!
More Disney Ornament Crafts
Here are some other Disney character ornaments for you to make after this one!
- Cinderella Christmas Ornament Craft
- Ursula Christmas Ornament Craft
- Lady and the Tramp Paper Ornaments Craft for Christmas