Here we have a super tropical dessert idea! This Pineapple Coconut Loaf Cake is packed with exotic flavors and is ideal for afternoon tea with friends, or a family dessert. You will need all your basic baking ingredients, shredded coconut, and crushed pineapple, plus 90 minutes of creation time!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Coconut Pineapple Loaf Cake
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions, to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
Is there anything better than a delicious slice of cake? How about a slice of cake that’s infused with tropical flavors and takes just 15 minutes to prep?
This Hawaiian-inspired pineapple coconut loaf cake is perfect for those summer days when you want something sweet, but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
With some standard cake ingredients, as well as crushed pineapple and toasted coconut, you can be enjoying this tasty cake in no time!
Serve it up for a tropical afternoon tea, or even at a Hawaiian-style luau party!
Check out our 10+ Hawaiian Themed Desserts for more sweet treats!
And for more Hawaiian-themed dishes, I’ve got lots more Luau Party Food recipes for you to try out – right-click and open them in a new tab to read next!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients and equipment needed for this recipe have been linked to Amazon or other stores if available online. Staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., aren’t always included here as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ALL ingredients with measurements is found on the recipe card.
- Dairy – Unsalted Butter, Sour Cream
- Shredded Coconut
- Baking Soda – also known as Bicarbonate of Soda.
- All-Purpose Flour – also known as Plain Flour.
- Canned Crushed Pineapple
- Special Equipment – 9-inch Loaf Pan
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, that you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Pineapple
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is pineapple, so here are some more recipes using the same:
- Jerk Hamburgers with Pineapple Chilli Relish
- Hawaiian Pineapple Coconut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Garlic-Chili Swordfish with Grilled Pineapple and Papaya
More Loaf Cake Recipes
Looking for more loaf cakes to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Amazing Carrot Cake Loaf Recipe for Afternoon Tea!
- Spiced Pumpkin & Walnut Tea Loaf
- Make This Lemon Raspberry Loaf for Brunch or Afternoon Tea
- Fruit & Nut Banana Bread Mini Loaves Recipe
- For even more tropical flavor you could add some chopped maraschino cherries to the cake batter.
- Storing Leftovers: Cool and transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge or pantry for up to 7 days.
- Freezing: Wrap well in a freezer-safe food bag, plastic wrap, or foil and place in the freezer. It will last for 3 months, just be sure to allow it to thaw fully in the fridge before slicing. Label the container with the name of the dish and the date so you can keep track of your food storage.
How Do I Make A Coconut Pineapple Loaf Cake?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
For Toasting Coconut
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
For the Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 (17oz/480g) can crushed pineapple, drained
- To toast the coconut, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pan and add the coconut.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the coconut all over the pan and allow to toast for 3 - 5 minutes, flipping and tossing until golden brown color. Remove from the heat and seat it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Spray a 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray and set it aside.
- To make the cake, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat the eggs into the butter and sugar mixture, one at a time until combined.
- Beat in the sour cream, baking soda, and salt until combined.
- Gradually beat in the flour.
- Fold in the crushed pineapple and 1 cup of the toasted coconut.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with more toasted coconut.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 65 - 75 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If need to, in order to avoid burning, cover the loaf with a sheet of foil.
- Once baked, remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing from pan and enjoying!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 3gSugar: 34gProtein: 5g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Special Dinner!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to create a menu for a dinner party or special meal:
- Appetizer: This Mango Shrimp Cups Appetizer is Perfect for Parties!
- Soup: Cuban Black Bean Soup
- Salad: Fresh & Fruity Rice Salad (Empire Rice Salad) – A Real Crowd-Pleaser!
- Main Dish: Slow Cooker Hawaiian Pulled Pork
- Side Dish: Pineapple Coleslaw with Bacon – A Delicious Side Dish at Luau Parties!
- Beverage: Disney-Inspired Polynesian Village Cocktail with Rum and Tropical Juice!
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.