I recently shared my Tropical Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips, which I made using a Zyliss EasyPull Food processor, well, that was the dessert for this dish – Jerky Hamburgers with Pineapple Chilli Relish. I used the EasyPull to make the relish, which was chopped up in no time. The relish is made with pineapple, red chilli, coriander, red onion, and lime juice and was a great accompaniment to this burger. It would also serve well as a salsa to go with chips.
I chopped up the coriander and chilli together first, and cut it quite fine, before adding the pineapple, which I wanted to be a little bit chunkier. I cut the onion separately and combined these ingredients with lime juice and a bit of salt to taste.
The burgers are very easy to make – we always make our own burgers these days – we know exactly what is going in them then! My husband is chief burger maker in this house, so he mixed together some beef mince with a little finely chopped onion (done in the EasyPull), some grated carrot, and jerk seasoning. We have a burger press which makes burger making simple, but if you don’t have one, just ball some of the meat mixture in your hands, and then flatten into a burger shape. These then went under the grill for 5 minutes or so on each side until cooked through. They would also do well on the BBQ.
The burgers were served in buns with some shredded lettuce, a dollop of the pineapple chilli relish and some plantain chips on the side.
For the pineapple chilli relish
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- small handful fresh coriander
- 250g pinepple (fresh or canned)
- 1 medium red onion, peeled
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
For the jerk hamburgers
- 400g beef mince
- 1 small carrot, grated
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 tsps jerk seasoning
- 4 hamburger buns
- shredded lettuce
- plantain chips
- Cut the chilli into pieces and place into the Zyliss EasyPull Food Processor with the coriander. Pull 6-8 times to give a fine chop.
- Add the pineapple and pull again to cut the fruit into small pieces. Transfer to a bowl.
- Quarter the onion, and finely chop in the EasyPull. Add to the bowl with the coriander and chilli, then season to taste with lime juice and salt.
- If you don't have an EasyPull Food Processor, chop everything finely by hand.
- To make the burgers, place the ingredients into a bowl and combine everything together well. Divide into 4 portions and make into burger shapes, or use a burger press if you have one.
- Grill the burgers (under a grill or on the BBQ) for 5 minutes or so one each side until cooked through.
- Place the cooked jerk burgers onto hamburger buns with shredded lettuce and a spoonful of the relish.
- Serve with plantain chips.