This Pumpkin Cake is made with canned pumpkin, cranberries, pecans, and of course pumpkin pie spice! It’s topped with frosting and lots of Halloween sprinkles. An awesome addition to a Halloween dessert table.
I’ve got more Pumpkin Recipes for you to try – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
This was another dessert I made for my Halloween Dinner Party – Better Late Than Never! The cake turned out wonderfully – really aromatic, sweet and moist – it went down a treat with all that tried some. By the end of our dinner party, everyone was full up, so it was saved for the next day and finished off at my parent’s Guy Fawkes party!
This cake is made with eggs, vegetable oil, canned pumpkin, flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, dried cranberries, and pecans. The cranberries and pecans are optional! I added about half a cup of each as I had them leftover from baking my Pumpkin Cookies.
If you can’t find pumpkin spice, it is really easy to make yourself: 1tsp of pumpkin spice = ¼ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp ginger, ⅛ tsp allspice, ⅛ tsp nutmeg.
I used canned vanilla frosting (as I had some in the store cupboard), but you could make your own or use cream cheese frosting which would also taste awesome on this cake!
I preheated the oven to 175C/350F and greased a 9″ x 13″ baking pan.
You start off by placing the oil, eggs, sugar, and pumpkin into a bowl and using an electric whisk, beat together until light and fluffy.
Then sift together, the flour, spices, baking powder, and baking soda, and add to the wet ingredients. Fold together until well combined.
It was at this point I tossed in the leftover cranberries and pecans. I couldn’t tell you the quantities exactly as I just used what was left from an earlier recipe – it was about a handful or so of each? I don’t think it really matters! Maybe ½ cup if you need an exact measurement! I kept some of the pecans whole and some I chopped up a little bit.
Once combined, I poured the batter into a greased baking pan and placed it in the oven for about 35 – 40 minutes. You know when it’s cooked when you put a skewer or knife into the center and it comes out clean.
I turned the cake out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. When the cake was cooled, I then got to work with the frosting, and adding my favourite thing when making cakes…sprinkles! I bought these wonderful Halloween sprinkles by Wilton. I love that they come in little test tubes – very cute!
I spread frosting generously over the top of the cake and added a lot of sprinkles! Since this cake is so decadent, I think it would serve around 12, but you could have larger portions of cake if you wanted to!
- 4 eggs
- 1 ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour in the UK)
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 2 tsps pumpkin pie spice (1tsp = ¼ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp ginger, ⅛ tsp allspice, ⅛ tsp nutmeg)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda in the UK)
- ½ cup pecans (can be chopped, kept whole, or a mix of both!) (optional)
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- vanilla or cream cheese frosting (canned or homemade)
- Halloween sprinkles
- Pre-heat oven to 175C/325F/Gas 3, and grease a 9x13" baking pan.
- In a bowl whisk egg, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, spices, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Then add to the wet ingredients, and fold till combined.
- Stir in the pecans and cranberries, if using, then pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until cooked through.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- When the pumpkin cake is cold, add a generous layer of frosting and finish with Halloween sprinkles of your choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 5979Total Fat: 288gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 242gCholesterol: 744mgSodium: 4957mgCarbohydrates: 803gFiber: 35gSugar: 470gProtein: 74g
This site uses an outside source to provide nutrition. If you need exact details, please calculate yourself. This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 6/23/2019