Need a last-minute Halloween decoration? This Googly Eye Pumpkin craft is IT! Googly eyes make everything awesome, and this pumpkin is a great no-carve idea that is safe, simple, and fun for kids to do with minimal supervision. Use fake pumpkins so that you can bring this creepy decoration out year after year.
This post is part of the Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog – a celebration of everything Halloween and Autumn. Now in its 8th year, the 2019 series is bigger and better, running from September 1st, all the way through All Hallows’ Eve on October 31st!
I have included links to some products that would be useful in this project.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a small commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases,
Googly Eye Pumpkin Craft
I’m always on the lookout for simple crafts for kids that I can do with my niece who loves crafting and this googly eye pumpkin (or wiggle eye pumpkin, depending I guess on what you call those craft eyes!) fits the bill perfectly!
Turn it into a learning activity at the same time by sorting out the different sizes of eyes and counting them out too.
If you craft regularly you may already have a whole bunch of googly eyes in your stash, and if not, order some online using Amazon Prime and get them delivered same-day, one-day, or two-day – depending on the item and geo-location. I honestly couldn’t be without my Prime membership which is free for 30-days to try out and a nominal monthly fee thereafter. I do so many things last minute that same day shipping for me is always a lifesaver!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
- Foam Pumpkin – you could use a real pumpkin if it’s easier for you to get one.
- Googly Eyes – an assortment of sizes (and colors if you like) to create a really cool design
- Black Acrylic Paint – just a suggested color, use any color you like!
- Paintbrush – for applying the paint
- White School Glue – also known as PVA glue in the UK. It dries clear and is great for crafts
I would love if you shared this post on social media – just use the buttons below!
Your shares are how The Purple Pumpkin Blog grows and I am sincerely grateful every time you share something. ♥
How To Make A Googly Eye Pumpkin
It is super easy to make this craft! Simply paint a foam pumpkin with black acrylic paint – you may find that you need a few coats to get full coverage. Make sure you let them dry in between coats.
If you are using a real pumpkin you can paint that too with acrylic paint as above.
Want to use a different color paint? Do it! Paint a pumpkin green and with all those wiggly eyes it will look like an alien!
When the paint is completely dry it’s time for the fun part – sticking on all of the eyes!
Apply dots of glue and stick the eyes on in any way that you like. Start with the biggest eyes you have, then fill in the spaces with smaller eyes.
Leave to dry and then display for Halloween!
More Halloween Crafts
Looking for more Halloween Crafts to make with the kids? Try these:
- Halloween Haunted House Paper Craft For Kids + Free Printable Template
- Build-a-Witch! Free Printable Halloween Paper Craft
- How To Make Halloween Slime + 13 More Slime Recipes!
- Foam Pumpkin
- Googly Eyes
- Black Acrylic Pain
- White School Glue/PVA
- Basecoat the pumpkin with black paint and leave to dry. Apply a second and third coat if required. Make sure to let each coat of paint dry completely.
- Apply dots of glue onto the pumpkin surface and place the googly eyes in a random (or patterned!) fashion.
- Leave to dry and display for Halloween!
The Crafty October series on The Purple Pumpkin Blog is filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more for Halloween and Fall! You can check out Crafty October from 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 for tons of awesome Halloween ideas and inspiration!