Create Christmas 2018 is here, and today I’m sharing an Easy No-Sew Felt Christmas Ornament Penguin + Free Printable Pattern!
This No-Sew Felt Christmas Ornament Penguin is absolutely adorable, and so easy to make! With the Free Printable Pattern you can make a whole family of penguins to hang on your Christmas tree! All you need is some felt, glue and a piece of ribbon!
If you love Christmas, then you need to make sure you have joined The Pumpkin Patch! Members of the Pumpkin Patch will receive exclusive goodies like member only printables, giveaways, and more!
Save this post to Pinterest for later! ⬇️
No-Sew Felt Christmas Ornament Penguin
I have been meaning to share felt Christmas ornaments on my blog for literally years. But then December arrives, and I usually just run out of time to make them. I really should start making things months in advance, but my brain simply doesn’t function that way!
However, I didn’t want another year to go by without sharing them on my blog, and so, when my husband asked if there was anything he could do to help me with blog stuff, this no-sew felt Christmas ornament penguin came immediately to mind!
You may even recognise him as Percival the Penguin – one of my Christmas characters that features in some of my seasonal printables!
Create Christmas was born in 2012, and is now in its 7th year! I share as many festive ideas as I can – my vision for this blog is to think up the ideas so that you don’t have to!
You can read more from Create Christmas 2018 here.
This post contains Amazon Affiliate and other affiliate links. If you clicked the link then made a purchase, a small percentage of the sale price would be paid to me. It doesn’t cost you anything more but it helps keep the lights on over here so that I can create more content for you!
The reason I made Percival the Penguin a no-sew felt Christmas ornaments was three-fold:
- Because it is very easy to make – even for young children!
- Because time was of the essence and I wanted to finally get a felt ornament onto my blog!
- Because my husband doesn’t have the first clue how to sew an ornament together!
I mean, he can sew a button onto a shirt, but I would have had to show him in detail how to sew this together, and I was (and still am) busy writing lots of posts for Create Christmas 2018!
If you want to sew this ornament together, of course you are more than welcome to. You will need to cut double of the body, wings, and legs; and I would personally also cut a bit bigger than the pattern, to allow for stitching and stuffing. Perhaps in the future (2019) I’ll turn him into a stuffed felt ornament!
How To Make The Penguin Felt Christmas Ornament
You will need:
- Penguin Felt Ornament Pattern (download is after the instructions)
- Paper Scissors
- Sheets of Felt in the following colours: black, white, orange, yellow, red.
- Dressmaker Pins (optional)
- Fabric Scissors (or good quality sharp scissors)
- Fabric Glue or PVA Glue (white school glue!)
- Red Ribbon
- Print and cut out the pattern pieces with regular paper scissors (you don’t want to blunt fabric ones!)
- Pin each piece to the corresponding felt colour. You don’t have to pin the pieces, but it does make it easier to keep in place when cutting. Place as close together as you can so as not to waste the felt.
- In my picture below you can see where I have scribbled on the colours. In the printable pattern, the colours and pieces are labelled for you.
- Cut each piece out carefully with fabric (or very sharp) scissors so that you get a neat edge – young children may need help with this part.
- You will notice that there is a strip across Percival the Penguin’s hat. Because it is so thin I didn’t bother with a template piece – it is easy enough to cut it freehand on yellow felt. You may also want to freehand the smaller pieces too if you find cutting around the template tricky.
- To assemble, place the wings and feet on top of the body in the positions shown in the picture above, and before gluing down, make sure that the white belly covers the inner parts, as it will help to keep them in place. Adjust placement as needed, then stick the wings and feet into place with a blob of fabric or PVA glue.
- Glue the white belly on top of the body, wings, and feet.
- Because our white felt was really thin compared to the other colours, my husband actually stuck two belly pieces on top of one another as the glue was seeping through! In the end this helped to make the body of the penguin sturdy as the glue dried.
- Stick the eyes, beak and bow tie in place.
- You can draw on the bow folds with a dark red marker pen. I did this whilst taking photos because the bow started to look like a mouth to me!
- Stick the yellow strip of felt to the hat, and then stick the hat on Percival’s head at a jaunty angle.
- Finally, cut a piece of ribbon about 15cm/6″ long, and fold over into a loop. When all the layers of the penguin are dry, glue the loop to the back of him. You could cover the stuck down part with a circle of felt if you like to hide the ends of the ribbon.
- When the loop has dried, hang your Percival the Penguin felt ornament from the tree!
Download Penguin Felt Ornament Pattern:
As with pretty much all my printables, they come in two paper sizes – A4 for the UK, and US Letter – 8.5 x 11″ for the USA (and other countries that use these paper sizes as standard). Links open in new window.
I hope you have fun making this adorable and easy no-sew felt Christmas ornament of Percival the Penguin – it’s really brought one of my cute little characters to life! If you make him, please share your finished creation with me – I would LOVE to see!
I think Percival needs a mate, so look out for her (and the rest of the family!), as well as the rest of the cute Christmas gang in ornament form, and in free printables!
I would love if you shared this on Pinterest – just use the button below. Your shares are how The Purple Pumpkin Blog grows and I am sincerely grateful every time you share something. ♥ You are welcome to follow me on Pinterest too where I share tons of great ideas and inspiration!
Create Christmas is a celebration of everything Christmas (and New Years, and Winter!). Filled with free printables, crafts, recipes, and more – now in its 7th year!
Find all of this years posts and read all about Create Christmas 2018 here.
The free printable(s) is (are) a PDF and can be opened with Adobe Reader which is free to use. Printables designed and created by The Purple Pumpkin Blog and its Designers are for PERSONAL USE ONLY and NOT FOR RESALE under any circumstances. You are welcome to print these free printables at a print shop if you don’t have a printer at home, however some print shops may not print licensed characters. Colours may vary slightly on printing due to different screen and printer settings. You may share this free printable blog post on social media, including Pinterest; as well as share it on your blog/website with a link back to this blog post. Please DO NOT share the PDF to social media or on your blog/website. If you use any of my printables it would be awesome to know about it! Post a picture on the social media platform that you hang out on, and follow me: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest! Use the hashtag #TPPBprintables so I can find you! I hope you enjoy these free printables!