I made this Crunchy Vegetable Noodle Salad as part of my meal prep routine. I like to make a different salad (that keeps well) each week, so that I don’t have to worry about what to have for lunch each day. I’ve always been notoriously bad for skipping lunch, so this keeps me on track. This noodle salad is easy and quick to put together, and stays fresh for about a week when stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
I really do love a salad, and during the spring and summer months, I make them a lot. I made a variation of this salad a few years ago for my sister’s baby shower – Nutty Noodle Salad – which went down a treat with the guests. In that recipe I actually blanched some of the vegetables, which I didn’t bother to do this time around; preferring to leave them raw to save time. Other switches I made this time, were using less oil, and a reduced fat peanut butter.
Since I count my calories, I look for ways to reduce them, without compromising on flavour. Each portion of this salad is less than 400 calories, which is perfect for me. It is a little high in salt, but that could be compensated by using a reduced salt soy sauce instead (which I didn’t have at the time of making)
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you clicked the link then made a purchase, a small percentage of the sale price would be paid to this me. It doesn’t cost you anything more but it helps keep the lights on over here!
This vegetarian salad keeps well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. I used plastic tubs on this occasion, but you could use a glass jar instead – I’m finding that they really keep food fresh. For meal prep, you could also divide the dressing into small pots, and pour over when ready to eat.
Of course, I’m biased when it comes to my own recipes, but this noodle salad tastes so good! I love all the different tastes and textures from the veggies, noodles, dressing and nuts – I really enjoy having these noodles for lunch! It’s one of those recipes that you can tweak to your tastes too. You could use different kinds of noodles, like rice, or soba; use a different combination of veggies; and even add a protein like cooked chicken, prawns, or tofu.
- 300g (dry weight) egg noodles, cooked according to package instructions and cooled
- 120g (1 can) sliced bamboo shoots in water, cut in thirds lengthways
- 140g (1 can) sliced water chestnuts cut into strips
- 130g baby corn, cut in quarters lengthways
- 150g sugar snap peas, cut in half lengthways
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 carrots, cut into thin strips
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped (reserve some to garnish)
- 30ml rice wine vinegar
- 30ml soy sauce
- 75g peanut butter (30% less fat)
- 1tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 25g sesame seeds (reserve some to garnish)
- 30g unsalted peanuts (to garnish, optional)
- Place the noodles and the prepared vegetables into a large bowl and mix together well.
- Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the noodles and vegetables and mix well.
- Divide between 6 airtight containers.
- Garnish with the peanuts, and reserved spring onions, and sesame seeds.
- Refrigerate for up to a week.
Please feel free to share this recipe for Crunchy Vegetable Noodle Salad with Peanut Dressing by using the social buttons on the side or bottom of this post, and don’t forget that you can subscribe to The Purple Pumpkin Blog by email, on Feedly or on Bloglovin’ so you don’t miss out!