This Tropical Rice Salad is a colourful mix of different flavours and textures, made with ingredients like wild rice, peppers, mangoes, and macadamia nuts. It is a tasty salad to eat on its own, or as a side for barbecued meat and fish. It is also a great salad to take to a potluck or on a summer picnic.
I’ve got more Rice Salad Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
Tropical Rice Salad
In the spring and summer months, salads are my thing! I absolutely love making them, and thinking of different combinations to put together. I made this Tropical Rice Salad as a side dish to slow cooked kalua pork (I will be sharing that recipe soon).
The base of this salad, is of course rice. I used a long grain and wild rice mix as the wild rice gives an almost nutty flavour and texture. Once cooked, I spread it out onto a baking sheet so that it would cool down quickly.
I used two tropical fruits in this salad – mango and pineapple. I actually had canned (in juice) fruit in my cupboard that I needed to use up, but I have made this salad using fresh fruit too. Bell peppers are another ingredient – I used orange and red, as that is what I had, but use any colour you like. I also added a kick with some fresh red chilli peppers – but you can leave this out if you wish.
I added some chopped macadamia nuts and peanuts to add another texture dimension. The dressing was made with peanut oil, light soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and pineapple juice. I used the leftover juice from the canned pineapple, and topped up with some from a carton. The dressing is then simply poured over and stirred through.
This salad is delicious, and feels like a mouthful of sunshine with all the tropical flavours mixed together. There were leftovers after serving this with the kalua pork, which I sealed in airtight jars and had for lunch for the next few days.
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you clicked the link then made a purchase, a small percentage of the sale price would be paid to this me. It doesn’t cost you anything more but it helps keep the lights on over here!
- 500g long grain and wild rice mix
- 250g pineapple, cut into small bite size pieces
- 250g mango, cut into small bite size pieces
- 2 bell peppers - red, yellow, or orange, deseeded and cut into small bite size pieces
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 200g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 80g pomegranate seeds
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 50g macadamia nuts, chopped
- 50g peanuts, chopped
For the dressing
- 45ml peanut oil
- 45ml light soy sauce
- 175ml pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp white rice vinegar
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions, and leave to cool.
- Mix all of the other ingredients together in a bowl, then add the rice and combine.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together, then pour over the rice salad. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Please feel free to share this recipe for Tropical Rice Salad by using the social buttons on the side or bottom of this post, and don’t forget that you can subscribe to The Purple Pumpkin Blog by email, on Feedly or on Bloglovin’ so you don’t miss out!