This Tropical Rice Salad is a colourful mix of different flavours and textures, made with ingredients like wild rice, peppers, mangoes, and macadamia nuts. It is a tasty salad to eat on its own, or as a side for barbecued meat and fish. It is also a great salad to take to a potluck or on a summer picnic.
I’ve got lots more Luau Party Food recipes for you to try out – right-click and open them in a new tab to read next!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Tropical Rice Salad
In the spring and summer months, salads are my thing! I absolutely love making them, and thinking of different combinations to put together. I made this Tropical Rice Salad as a side dish to slow cooked kalua pork (I will be sharing that recipe soon).
The base of this salad, is of course rice. I used a long grain and wild rice mix as the wild rice gives an almost nutty flavour and texture. Once cooked, I spread it out onto a baking sheet so that it would cool down quickly.
I used two tropical fruits in this salad – mango and pineapple. I actually had canned (in juice) fruit in my cupboard that I needed to use up, but I have made this salad using fresh fruit too. Bell peppers are another ingredient – I used orange and red, as that is what I had, but use any colour you like. I also added a kick with some fresh red chilli peppers – but you can leave this out if you wish.
I added some chopped macadamia nuts and peanuts to add another texture dimension. The dressing was made with peanut oil, light soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and pineapple juice. I used the leftover juice from the canned pineapple, and topped up with some from a carton. The dressing is then simply poured over and stirred through.
This salad is delicious, and feels like a mouthful of sunshine with all the tropical flavours mixed together. There were leftovers after serving this with the kalua pork, which I sealed in airtight jars and had for lunch for the next few days.
I’ve got more Rice Salad Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
- 500g long grain and wild rice mix
- 250g pineapple, cut into small bite size pieces
- 250g mango, cut into small bite size pieces
- 2 bell peppers - red, yellow, or orange, deseeded and cut into small bite size pieces
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 200g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 80g pomegranate seeds
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 50g macadamia nuts, chopped
- 50g peanuts, chopped
For the dressing
- 45ml peanut oil
- 45ml light soy sauce
- 175ml pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp white rice vinegar
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions, and leave to cool.
- Mix all of the other ingredients together in a bowl, then add the rice and combine.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together, then pour over the rice salad. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until serving.