This Tropical Rice Salad is a colorful mix of different flavours and textures, made with ingredients like wild rice, peppers, mangoes, and macadamia nuts.
It is a tasty salad to eat on its own, or as a side for barbecued meat and fish. It is also a great salad to take to a potluck or on a summer picnic.
You could serve it up at a Hawaiian-themed event, and I’ve got lots more Luau Party Food recipes for you to try out. Right-click and open them in a new tab to read next!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tropical Rice Salad
In the spring and summer months, salads are my thing! I absolutely love making them and thinking of different combinations to put together.
I made this Tropical Rice Salad as a side dish to slow-cooked kalua pork.
The base of this salad is of course rice. I used a long grain and wild rice mix as the wild rice gives an almost nutty flavour and texture. Once cooked, I spread it out onto a baking sheet so that it would cool down quickly.
I used two tropical fruits in this salad – mango and pineapple. I actually had canned (in juice) fruit in my cupboard that I needed to use up, but I have made this salad using fresh fruit too.
Bell peppers are another ingredient – I used orange and red, as that is what I had, but use any colour you like.
I also added a kick with some fresh red chilli peppers – but you can leave this out if you wish.
I added some chopped macadamia nuts and peanuts to add another texture dimension.
The dressing was made with peanut oil, light soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and pineapple juice. I used the leftover juice from the canned pineapple and topped it up with some from a carton. The dressing is then simply poured over and stirred through.
This salad is delicious and feels like a mouthful of sunshine with all the tropical flavours mixed together. There were leftovers after serving this with the kalua pork, which I sealed in airtight jars and had for lunch for the next few days.
I’ve got more Rice Salad Recipes for you to enjoy – right-click and open a new tab to read next.
- 500g/17oz long grain and wild rice mix
- 250g/8oz pineapple, cut into small bite size pieces
- 250g/8oz mango, cut into small bite size pieces
- 2 bell peppers - red, yellow, or orange, deseeded and cut into small bite size pieces
- 4 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
- 200g/7oz canned sweetcorn, drained
- 80g/3oz pomegranate seeds
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 50g/2oz macadamia nuts, chopped
- 50g/2oz peanuts, chopped
For the dressing
- 50ml/¼ cup peanut oil
- 50ml/¼ cup light soy sauce
- 180ml/¾ cup pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp white rice vinegar
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions, and leave to cool.
- Mix all of the other ingredients together in a bowl, then add the rice and combine.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together, then pour over the rice salad. Mix well.
- Refrigerate until serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 1101mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 21gProtein: 16g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.