Whether you’re looking for tropical party decoration ideas or you just want to add new eye-catching detail to jazz up your home decor, these stunning Crepe Paper Ginger Flowers are exactly what you need! The step-by-step tutorial will show you just how easy it is to make these pretty tropical flowers!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Crepe Paper Ginger Flowers
The full list of materials, tools, and instructions are found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have everything required and understand the steps and timings involved.
There’s something about the tropics that just make everything feel and look better and these tropical-inspired paper flowers can give any room that tropical vibe we all love.
These colorful and vibrant flowers are easy to make when you know how! They are made using crepe paper which is thicker than tissue paper, and has a slight stretch to it too.
If you have rolls of streamers from a previous party, they are likely to be made from crepe paper – you could use them in this craft!
The paper craft flowers are based on the Hawaiian ginger plant (awapuhi kuahiwi), a red or pink flower that is also the national flower of Samoa. It isn’t a native Hawaiian plant, but brought to the islands from South East Asia.
You could make lots of these paper ginger flowers in a whole range of bright colors – make a full bouquet as decor for a tropical party or luau. Or why not bundle a single stem with a napkin ring for a festive touch to the buffet or dinner table?
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
You may have some standard craft supplies like scissors and glue at home already, however, for your convenience, I’ve linked any specialized materials and tools needed for this craft to Amazon below.
- Green Construction Paper – for the flower stem
- Brightly Colored Crepe Paper – such as red, orange, yellow, pink
- Green Crepe Paper
More Paper Flower Crafts
Here are some more paper flowers that you might like to try crafting next:
- How To Make Tropical Tissue Paper Flowers
- How To Make A Paper Fall Flower Wreath
- How To Make A Tissue Paper Flower
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home that you can try!
How Do I Make Crepe Paper Ginger Flowers?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, instructions and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
Save my How To Make Paper Ginger Flowers craft tutorial video to your Crafts To Make YouTube Playlists so that it’s always there when you need it – don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel while you are there!
- Green Construction Paper
- Brightly Colored Crepe Paper - your choice of red, orange, pink, yellow
- Green Crepe Paper
- Craft Glue
- To make one flower, cut out a strip (1½" x 4½" / 4cm x 12cm) from green construction paper. Roll the strip to form a thin pipe. Apply glue at the end of the rolled paper to secure it.
- Cut out (freehand) 12 to 15 teardrop shapes from your choice of brightly colored crepe paper, approximately 1.2"/3cm from base to tip.
- Cut a slit about one-third from the middle bottom end of the teardrop shapes.
- Take one of the teardrop shapes and apply a drop of glue at the bottom, either side of the slit.
- Wrap the teardrop around the top end of the green pipe made in step one.
- Take another teardrop and apply glue on the bottom side as before. Fold the teardrop shape in half and wrap it around the green pipe from one side, below the top end and by keeping the open ends of the teardrop facing upwards.
- Now take another teardrop and apply glue as before, but this time, attach it on the opposite side of the previous one. Remember to attach the current teardrop cutout on the opposite side of the previous one each time. Continue to attach the crepe paper teardrops until the flower reaches the length you require.
- Cut out some long leaf shapes from green crepe paper.
- Attach the leaf shapes to the green pipe below the flower.
- Grab more colored crepe making and make a whole bunch of ginger flowers!