Another low calorie dish for you this morning – enough time to go buy the ingredients and have it for dinner tonight!
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!
It’s a dish I whipped together to use up stuff in my fridge…and working out the calories along the way. I got it dead on the nose at 400 calories. However, this would depend on the sort of low fat cream cheese you use as they vary in calories. I used Tesco’s own brand extra light soft cheese.
I also used a chicken breast in this (as we had a spare one left over from something), but you could take that out and bring the calories down by about 80 calories. Either way, this isn’t going to break the calorie bank!
I squirted some one-cal oil spray onto a chicken breast and popped it in the oven to roast for about 25 minutes, whilst I prepared everything else.
I sliced up a medium onion – I always use red ones.
I also slice up some chestnut mushrooms – or you could use a wild mushroom mix – whatever you can get hold of, 200 grams of chestnut mushrooms come in at a whopping 26 calories…
A spray of one-cal oil spray into a hot pan and then in with the mushrooms to brown off.
Chestnut mushrooms are quite meaty in texture, so I cooked them for a while first before adding the onions.
I had a courgette knocking about, so that was thinly sliced and also went in. I also threw in some crushed garlic. I twisted in some black pepper and scattered in some mixed herbs.
You’ll also want to get some pasta on the go – I used spaghetti as it is what I had to hand.
When everything was nicely cooked (about 20 minutes or so), I stirred in the low fat soft cheese – I used a garlic and herb one.
Finally, I sliced up the roasted chicken breast and stirred that in. Always check that your chicken is cooked through by piercing the thickest part and seeing if the juices run clear.
With the spaghetti cooked, I drained it, and divided it between two plates. Placed the creamy mushroom and chicken mix on top and sprinkled with more black pepper.
Creamy Mushroom & Chicken Pasta
Serves 2 – 400 calories per serving
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 80g spaghetti, dry weight
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium courgette, thinly sliced
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs
- freshly ground black pepper
- one calorie oil spray
- 200g low fat garlic and herb cream cheese
- Spray the chicken breast with some oil spray and roast in the oven until cooked (about 25 minutes)
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Heat up a frying pan and spray with the oil spray. Sauté the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, then add the onions and cook for another 5 minutes before adding the crushed garlic and courgettes. Add the dried herbs and some black pepper.
- Cook everything over a low-medium heat until everything is sweated down and cooked. About 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cream cheese and mix everything together well.
- Slice the roasted chicken and add to the vegetable and cream cheese mix.
- Divide the pasta between two plates. Top with chicken and vegetables sauce and serve with a generous twist of black pepper.