Chicken Parmigiana is a popular Italian-American dish, that I like to make from time to time. Food covered in cheese is pretty much always delicious! Since this is one of my meal prep recipes, it’s one that I make in part, and then finish off on the day. I have been taking steps to make meal prep part of my routine, to help me track of my calories, and ultimately, for some weight loss. I keep the calories lower in this chicken parm by baking the chicken in the oven, and using a lower fat cheese. But if you’re not worried about calories, go for it with the full fat cheese!
Meal prep for this was more of an assembly job, with everything being cooked fresh on Chicken Parmigiana day. I used one chicken breast per person, which I butterflied (check out BBC Good Food for a step-by-step of this technique) and pounded with a rolling pin to make an even thickness. I then breaded each piece of chicken with panko breadcrumbs, which are a Japanese breadcrumb and a lot crunchier than regular ones. You can find panko in UK supermarkets these days, which is fab, because I love using them! I used to have to stock up when on hols in the USA!
I then placed each piece of chicken on top of each other in an airtight container, placing a sheet of wax paper between them, and stored in the fridge until needed. Ensure that you know the USE BY date from the packaging, and write this label on your prepared chicken – and make sure you use the chicken by this date.
You can also freeze breaded chicken, by laying on a baking sheet and placing in the freezer. Once frozen solid, you can transfer to a freezer bag. They can be cooked from frozen, but add extra cooking time, and ensure that the meat is hot and cooked all the way through.
Everything else happened on the day – in the time it took to cook the chicken, I warmed up the tomato sauce, and cut the slices of mozzarella. Assembled everything in a heatproof dish, and popped under the grill to melt, and brown off the cheese. I served this with salad and the loaded jacket potatoes (recipe coming soon!) which I mentioned here, because we needed more cheese in our life!
Find more recipes here: Easy Meal Prep for Beginners
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, butterflied.
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsps plain flour
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 20g Parmigiano Regiano, grated
- 8 tbsps Dolmio Original Bolognese Sauce
- 60g half fat mozzarella
- Place the chicken inside a food bag and pound the with a rolling pin or meat hammer to an even thickness (about ½” / 1cm thick). Set to one side.
- Crack the egg into a shallow bowl, and whisk.
- Place the flour into a shallow bowl, and season with a twist of salt and pepper
- Place the panko breadcrumbs and the Parmigiano Regiano into a shallow bowl, and mix together.
- To coat the chicken, place it into the egg, then into the flour, back to the egg, and finally into the breadcrumb mix.
- If cooking immediately, place into a non-stick baking dish, and cook at 200C/Gas 6 for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Otherwise, follow storage instructions in the summary.
- Meanwhile, warm the sauce through, and cut the mozzarella into slices.
- Place the sauce in the bottom of an oven proof dish, add the cooked chicken, and lay the mozzarella on top. Grill for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
Please feel free to share this recipe by using the social buttons to the right, or bottom of this post, and don’t forget that you can subscribe to The Purple Pumpkin Blog by email, on Feedly or by RSS so you don’t miss out!
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!