I had been sent two different packs of Schwartz 2in1 recipe mixes: Garlic & Thyme Roast Chicken + Crispy Roast Potato Recipe Mixes and Mediterranean Chicken Pasta + Cheesy Crumb Topping Recipe Mixes to try out. I wanted to use one of them for our lunch on Sunday…
Тhe new 2in1 range offers easy to use recipe mix sachets in one handy pack: one sachet flavours the main dish whilst the other contains а seasoning for a complementary side dish or topping. With 5 different varieties to choose from, and an easy recipe on the back of each pack, it’s a great way to try out new dishes or transform an existing family favourite.
The weekend was a scorcher, and we had not just one, but two barbecues to be able to enjoy al fresco dining in the July sunshine! I love outdoor cooking! I plumped for the Schwartz 2in1 Garlic & Thyme Roast Chicken + Crispy Roast Potatoes Recipe Mixes, deciding to save the other one for a mid-week meal instead. On the back of each pack is a recipe idea, but me, being me, threw that idea out the window and came up with my own recipe idea.
As soon as I opened the pack, the aroma hit me – I am all for using shortcuts in the kitchen, and this recipe mixes pack saved me having to worry about digging around in my herb and spice rack to season the meat and veg.
Using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I cut them up into big chunks and marinated them with olive oil and the garlic and herb roast chicken mix. First I poured some olive oil into a dish and added the first mix.
I then tossed the chicken in and gave it a good rub all over using my hands to make sure all the seasoning was covering the chicken pieces. I reckon this would probably work well with pork chops or fish – something like salmon or monkfish. (Something to try in the future!)
I covered the chicken with plastic wrap and placed in the fridge for the mix to do its work.
Meanwhile, I soaked some bamboo skewers in water for a good half an hour, (I couldn’t locate our metal skewers after our recent house move!) and pierced each chicken piece onto the end ready for grilling.
Hubs fired up the coals and onto the grill they went. You could smell the spices coming from the chicken as they were cooking – smelled gooood! Hubs flipped the chicken skewers over after a few minutes and they had turned a lovely golden and charred colour – they looked delicious!
Ensuring that the chicken was cooked through – white all the way through and the juices running clear is the indicator. I always check the thickest piece of chicken to make 100% sure.
I served the garlic and thyme chicken skewers in a couple of different ways – simple, with a side salad and some (shop bought, but normally would make my own!) tzatziki (yoghurt, mint and cucumber dip)…and of course the roasted veggies which I’m going to tell you about very soon!
And then, since we had some tortilla wraps knocking about…wrapped up fajita style with salad and dip.
It was a lazy-ish Sunday so I didn’t prep a mixed salad, just cleaned up some salad vegetables and cut them down to size – making filling up wraps nice and easy.
Now, while all this was going on, I was roasting vegetables in the oven. I could have done this on the barbecue, but I just wanted to be able to forget about them for half an hour!
Using the second half of the Schwartz 2in1 recipe mix I covered chopped new potatoes, courgettes, mushrooms, aubergines and red onions. I stirred the mix into some olive first before pouring over and mixing well. Into the oven for 30-40 minutes until tender, and bam, full o’ flavour veggies!
- Garlic & Thyme Chicken Skewers
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
- Schwartz 2in1 Garlic & Thyme Recipe Mixes (roast chicken sachet)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- bamboo skewers
- Roasted Veggies
- 1 aubergine, cut into large chunks
- 1 large courgette, sliced
- 2 large field mushrooms, quartered
- 8 new potatoes, halved
- 2 red onions, quartered
- Schwarts 2in1 Garlic & Thyme Recipe Mixes (crispy roast potatoes sachet)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- To Serve
- tzatziki (yoghurt, cucumber and mint dip)
- flour tortillas
- salad vegetables – lettuce, cucumber, onion, tomato
- Pour 2 tbsps oil into a bowl and sprinkle over the roast chicken sachet. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix thoroughly until the chicken is coated.
- Cover the chicken and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, soak the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes or so. This helps prevents them from charring on the barbecue.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers – one piece per skewer or kebab style.
- Cook over hot coals for 4-6 minutes on each side until cooked (the chicken should be white all the way through and the juices run clear – test the thickest piece of chicken).
- To cook the roasted veggies – pre-heat your oven to 200C/180C(fan)/400F/Gas 6.
- In a roasting dish, mix 2 tbsps oil with the crispy roast potatoes sachet.
- Add the prepared vegetables and toss to evenly cover.
- Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes until tender.
- Serve with tzatziki, salad and flour tortillas if desired.
Now that you’ve seen what I did with my recipe mixes, why not give them a try?
This post is an entry for BritMums ‘What’s for Dinner Tonight?’ sponsored by Schwartz.
I’ve got more 50+ Easy Chicken Recipes for you to enjoy – right click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one!