I made Bananas Foster for dessert at our Around the World Date Night: New Orleans Mardi Gras.
It was a yummy dessert that rounded off our Mardi Gras meal of Cajun Crab & Prawn Beignets, Cheats Jambalaya and Cayenne Buttered Corn on the Cob (which was all washed down with Mardi Gras Rum Punch!)
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced diagonally into thick slices
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 120 ml double cream
- 120 ml dark rum
- 50g chopped pecans
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a heavy based frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar and stir together.
- Add the cream and mix together.
- Add the bananas and chopped pecans - the mixture should be bubbly.
- Stir in the rum, then carefully ignite with a flame (use a long taper if you have an electric hob, or tip the pan to get the flame from the gas burner). The mixture will flame for 30-60 seconds, you can shake it to help calm it down - always be careful when flambéing.
- Stir in the cinnamon.
- Serve the bananas with ice-cream or more double cream.