I was all ready to make jambalaya from scratch for our date night to New Orleans and Mardi Gras, but then I remembered a box of jambalaya rice mix we had bought in the USA and still hadn’t used, so it was the ideal opportunity to do so :D
I don’t think I’ve ever eaten jambalaya, so I have no idea if the flavour of the rice mix was authentic, but all I do know, is that it was yummy!!
The mix we had bought was a brand called Zatarain’s. It was a box of the Original New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix, which you could add your own meat and seafood to. And that’s exactly what I did!
I have found a source for this in the UK, so you don’t have to fly all the way to the USA to buy this! And of course, you can make jambalaya from scratch, which is exactly what I’m cooking for dinner this weekend, so look out for that recipe in the near future! If you want to buy this in the UK, I’ve found it on AmericanSweets.co.uk for £2.90 a box, plus P&P…expensive, but that’s imports for you I suppose :(
You could use one of those microwave rice sachets too – maybe the chicken flavoured one – add some cayenne pepper and dried herbs – along with your meat and seafood and there is a UK friendly cheats jambalaya :D
- 1 x 8oz (227g) box Zatarain's Original New Orleans Jambalaya Mix
- 4 x boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 150g chorizo, sliced
- 200g raw king prawns
- fresh parsley to serve (optional)
- Cook the chicken in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through
- Make up the rice mix according to the package instructions
- Add the cooked chicken, chorizo and prawns
- Stir occasionally
- Serve, sprinkled with fresh parsley if desired