For casual gatherings with family and friends, you can’t go wrong with a classic Yellow Sheet Cake complete with a layer of chocolate buttercream frosting. A slice of this simple, yet yummy cake is like nostalgia on a plate – it’s like the type of cake your grandmother would bake!
We have included affiliate links to valuable products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and we will be compensated if you purchase after clicking on those links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Yellow Sheet Cake
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions; to ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required, and to understand the steps and timings involved.
The best thing about sheet cakes (apart from them tasting so good!) is that you don’t require a special cake pan to cook them in.
A simple 9 x 13″ baking dish is all you need, and most of us have (at least) one of those in the kitchen and the cake recipe ingredients are basic ones that you may also have on hand.
That means it’s the kind of cake you can make at a moment’s notice, which is what I remember my mum doing a lot when we were kids and wanted cake!
Quite often she’d just combine all the ingredients without measuring and top the cake with a variety of different toppings like jam, lemon curd, or icing and sprinkles!
You can top your yellow sheet cake with whatever you like, we’ve used our chocolate buttercream frosting and the link to the recipe can also be found down in the recipe card.
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It doesn’t include staple ingredients such as oil, sugar, eggs, salt, and pepper, as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen already. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Dairy – Unsalted Butter, Whole Milk (Full-Fat Milk).
- Pure Vanilla Extract – always buy good vanilla as it really does make a flavor difference.
- All-Purpose Flour – also known as Plain Flour.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda – also known as Bicarbonate of Soda.
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. You can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Cake Recipes
Looking for more classic cakes to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Lemon Poppy Seed Coffee Cake
- Classic Carrot Cake Recipe with Chopped Pecans
- Lemon Raspberry Loaf for Brunch or Afternoon Tea
How Do I Make Yellow Sheet Cake?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and grease or spray a 9” x 13” pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using an electric stand or handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just blended.
- Slowly mix in milk.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly with a spatula.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before topping with your choice of frosting.
- Slice and serve immediately, if desired. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 4g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal!
You’ve made the dessert, but what about the rest of the courses?
Here are additional recipes to make a full meal for a dinner party or special occasion:
- Appetizer: Lemon-Pepper Baked Chicken Wings
- Main Dish: Cast Iron Ribeye Steak with Green Herb Sauce
- Side Dish: Greek-Style Lemon Potatoes
- Side Vegetable: Roasted Asparagus
- Beverage: Fresh Blueberry Lime Mocktail
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too!