We love pretty much everything about our family holidays to Walt Disney World, but if there is one thing we really love to do, is meet Disney characters! It doesn’t matter what age you are – meeting the characters is a lot of fun, and makes for a great holiday photo and memory!
There are two ways you can meet the characters at Walt Disney World:
- At character greeting locations around the theme parks (check the map when you visit, which will give you places and times for that day, as they do change)
- At character dining restaurants around Walt Disney World (these can be subject to change)
- At the Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party at Magic Kingdom, when the parade floats stop and you can dance in the streets with them! I have seen people take quick photographs with the characters, but they don’t stop for long!
Check out the Disney website which will give you the most up to date and accurate information.
FastPass+ Character Locations
A long time ago, you would find characters walking around the theme parks, this sadly does not happen any more, so you will have to line up for them. Some locations have got the option of FastPass+ and I highly recommend this, as the lines will be long! Here is a list of the current character meet & greets that have a FastPass+ option:
- Meet Anna and Elsa at Princess Fairytale Hall, Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland
- Meet Ariel at Her Grotto, Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland
- Meet Cinderella and Rapunzel at Princess Fairytale Hall, Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland
- Meet Mickey & Friends at the Epcot Character Spot, Epcot – Future World
- Meet Mickey & Minnie at Adventurers Outpost, Animal Kingdom – Discovery Island
- Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square Theater, Magic Kingdom – Main Street, USA
- Meet Tinker Bell at Town Square Theater, Magic Kingdom – Main Street, USA
Now, if you don’t manage to get a FastPass+ for Mickey and pals, you can meet them at several other locations, and you can meet Ariel and Cinderella at some character dining locations, but Anna and Elsa, Rapunzel, and Tinkerbell can only be met at the locations mentioned, so if your children (or you!) want to meet them, make sure you book those FastPass+ spots!
Non-FastsPass+ Character Locations
- Meet Sorcerer Mickey Mouse near Studio Catering Co., Hollywood Studios – Streets of America
- Meet Aladdin & Jasmine in Morocco Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase and at Magic Kingdom, Adventureland
- Meet Alice and/or The White Rabbit near Mad Tea Party ride, Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland and in UK Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase
- Meet Buzz Lightyear near Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, Magic Kingdom – Tomorrowland
- Meet Baloo & King Louie at Upcountry Landing, Animal Kingdom – Asia
- Meet Buzz Lightyear & Woody at Hollywood Studios – Pixar Place
- Meet Chip ‘n’ Dale near The Diamond Horseshoe, Magic Kingdom – Frontierland; near Innoventions West, Epcot Future World; and Rafiki’s Planet Watch, Animal Kingdom
- Meet Daisy Duck at Animal Kingdom – Discovery Island
- Meet Disney Junior Pals at Hollywood Studios – Animation Courtyard
- Meet Donald Duck in Mexico Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase, and at DinoLand USA, Animal Kingdom
- Meet Duffy the Disney Bear near Showcase Plaza, Epcot World Showcase
- Meet Gaston near his tavern, Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland
- Meet Goofy & Pluto at Animal Kingdom – DinoLand USA
- Meet Mary Poppins in UK Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase
- Meet Merida at Fairytale Garden, Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland
- Meet Mickey & Minnie in safari gear at Adventurer’s Outpost, Animal Kingdom – Discovery Island
- Meet Minnie, Daisy, Goofy & Donald as Circus Stars at Pete’s Silly Sideshow, Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland
- Meet Mike & Sully near Streets of America, Hollywood Studios
- Meet Mulan in China Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase
- Meet Peter Pan in Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland
- Meet Phineas & Ferb near Streets of America, Hollywood Studios
- Meet Pochahontas at Character Landing, Animal Kingdom – Discovery Island
- Meet Princess Aurora in France Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase
- Meet Rafiki at Rafiki’s Planet Watch, Animal Kingdom
- Meet Russel & Dug at Discovery Island, Animal Kingdom
- Meet Snow White in Germany Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase
- Meet Lightning McQueen & Mater near Streets of America, Hollywood Studios
- Meet Tiana in Liberty Square, Magic Kingdom
- Meet Tigger & Pooh near The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Magic Kingdom – Fantasyland; and in UK Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase
- Meet Woody & Jessie near Splash Mountain, Magic Kingdom – Frontierland
Random character locations
- Legacy Plaza West, Epcot Future World (we’ve seen Daisy and Pluto here)
- Center Stage, Hollywood Studios – Hollywood Boulevard (we’ve seen Chip ‘n’ Dale here, but you could also see Donald, Daisy, Goofy and Pluto)
Not listed on Walt Disney World’s website, but we have also met the following characters at theme parks:
- Pinocchio – Magic Kingdom
- Marie (from the Aristocats) – Magic Kingdom
- Jiminy Cricket – Animal Kingdom
- Belle – Magic Kingdom
- Flik – Animal Kingdom
- Lilo & Stitch – Animal Kingdom
- Stitch – Typhoon Lagoon
- Mr & Mrs Incredible – Hollywood Studios
Character Dining Restaurants
- Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, The Mad Hatter, Tigger, Winnie the Pooh (breakfast) Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Ugly Sisters (dinner) at 1900s Park Fayre, Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Snow White, Cinderella, Belle, Princess Aurora, Ariel, Mary Poppins at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, Norway Pavilion, Epcot World Showcase
- Goofy, Minnie & Donald in beach gear at Cape May Cafe, Disney’s Beach Club Resort
- Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald & Pluto in chef gear at Chef Mickey’s, Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Cinderella, Snow White, Jasmine, Aurora, Ariel at Cinderella Royal Table, Magic Kingdom
- Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyore at The Crystal Palace, Magic Kingdom
- Chip ‘n’ Dale, Donald Duck at The Garden Grill, Epcot Future World
- Doc McStuffins, Sofia the First, Jake and the Never Land Pirates, Handy Manny at Hollywood & Vine, Hollywood Studios
- Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, Pluto at ‘Ohana, Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Minnie in safari gear at Tusker House, Animal Kingdom
- Rapunzel & Flynn Rider and Ariel & Prince Eric at Trattoria al Forno, Disney’s BoardWalk
And don’t forget, at special events like Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party, you can meet rare characters like the Disney Villains! We did have the opportunity to meet them at Disney’s Villain’s Unleashed in August 2014, but the lines ran to 3 or 4 hours long, and we were not prepared to wait! However, my son did manage to catch a a photo with a couple of Storm Troopers!
Tips for meeting Disney Characters
- Book FastPass+ for the characters that you are able to – if you want to meet them. Lines for Anna & Elsa were running to 5 or 6 hours when we visited!
- Be patient waiting in line for the non FP+ meets – everyone deserves their turn with the characters, yours will come soon!
- Be patient again when characters need to take a break – they will be back very soon!
- Have your camera ready – have a mental plan of the photographs that you want to take – your kids, you, a selfie (I do that all the time with characters!)
- Make use of the Disney Photographers – most character meets will have a Disney photographer, so make sure you get your Magic Band scanned, or your PhotoPass card. Disney photographers are also happy to take photographs with your own camera or smartphone. As are Cast Members – so just ask politely!
- Wait your turn during character dining – characters move from table to table, and will eventually reach you. It’s not fair on others, the characters, or Cast Members if you let your children run up to them when they are at another table.
- Have your autograph book ready – open to a blank page, have a large pen or marker, uncapped and ready to use
- Say hi and talk to the characters! They can’t speak back, but they give hugs and kisses! However, the face characters (like the Disney Princesses) can speak, and will hold a conversation with you in character.
- Have fun! Chip ‘n’ Dale are our family favourites – we always have a good laugh with them! They steal caps from heads, and fans from hands, as well as pull funny poses! Speaking of poses, there are certain poses you can hold when meeting characters, for example, show off your muscles when meeting Gaston, challenge Woody to a gun fight (with your hands of course!) and poke out your tongue at the camera when with sassy Tinkerbell.
I hope this will help you to meet the characters around Walt Disney World – who is your favourite?
Thanks for reading Day 22 of 100 Days of Disney 2015! 78 to go! Come back tomorrow for another Disney post!
Posts in the 100 Days of Disney Series:
Disney Crafts | Disney Printables | Disney Dining | Disney Vacation Planning | Around Walt Disney World | Disney Resorts | Disney Photography | Disney Theme Parks | Disney Rides + Attractions | Disney Shows + Parades | Disney Fashion | Disney Merchandise | Disney Movies | Disney Songs
And if you are a blogger, don’t forget that the 100 Days of Disney – The Blogger Linky is now open!