This Valentine’s Day Gnome Craft is cute and adorable, and with Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, it’s a fun project that both kids and adults will enjoy. The free printable template makes it hassle-free, just use it to cut out cardstock to make the sweet paper gnomes!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Valentine’s Day Gnome Craft
The full list of materials, tools, and instructions is found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have everything required and understand the steps and timings involved.
If you’re looking for a simple craft to do – maybe for yourself, to make with the kiddos, or for your classroom or homeschool room, this cute paper gnome craft is perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Much like the paper craftivities that I have shared for Christmas and Halloween, the gnomes are made from constructions paper (or cardstock) using a printable template.
The gnomes are quite large – around 12-inches/30cm high – these make great decorations, or you could use a folded piece of card for the body of the gnome and add the pieces on top to turn it into a greetings card.
I’ve also included a smaller version of the printable which can be used to make puppets (add a popsicle stick to the back) or turned into a bookmark!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
The complete list of supplies, which may include basic crafting items that you already have can be found in the tutorial card at the end of this post. For your convenience, I’ve linked any notable materials and tools needed for this project to Amazon below.
- Construction Paper – or Cardstock in the following colors: Red, White, Pink, Flesh – but you can use any colors you like!
- Glue Stick – or Glue Roller Tape
- Free Printable Template – you’ll find this just before the tutorial
- You will find the download links further down this page surrounded by a purple box. Tap the purple download buttons to save the file(s) to your device.
- I’ve provided the usual two paper sizes – A4 and US Letter (8.5″ x 11″) – use the size that is appropriate for your printer.
More Valentine’s Day Crafts
Looking for more Valentine’s Day crafts? Here are some more for you to check out! Just right-click and open a new tab to read next!
- Mickey & Minnie Love Signs Craft – Cute Home Decor for Valentine’s Day!
- Decorated DIY Valentine’s Day Candle Craft
- Make these cute Love Bear Cards for Valentine’s Day!
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home that you can try!
How To Build The Valentine’s Day Gnome
The Gnome has the following components and the printable gives you a guide as to what colors to use. However, you can use any colors that you like!
- Body (Rectangle)
- Beard and Moustache
- Nose and Hands
There are a few different ways you can build and use this free Valentine’s Day activity, which means you can get multiple uses from the same printable!
- Print the gnome template onto colored paper (or thin card that goes through your printer) and cut out the pieces to build.
- Print the character template onto white paper (or thin card that goes through your printer), cut, and color the pieces with markers, pens, or crayons before assembly.
- Print the character template onto white paper (or thin card that goes through your printer), cut and then trace around each piece onto colored construction paper then use those pieces to assemble the gnome.
However you decide to print and cut out the pieces, the assembly remains the same – use the photos in the tutorial card as a guide to sticking everything together. You can use a glue stick or glue roller. These are my favorite glue rollers and they’re so much easier and less messy than a glue stick!
Some of the pieces for this papercraft take up a whole page, others do not. Where possible, I’ve made small items fill up a page and have a page with individual items (it will become more apparent when you download the file!). I have done this so that you can save on paper if you only want to make one of these characters, or if you want to make several – for example in a group or classroom.
Other Ways to Use The Gnome Printable Template
- There are two sizes in the printable template.
- The large gnome will be around 12-inches/30cm high.
- The small gnome will be around 6-inches/15cm high.
- Turn the large gnomes into greetings cards by folding some cardstock in half, and attaching the features to front as shown.
- Use the template to cut the pieces from craft foam instead of paper.
- Laminate the pieces and number each one. Make a game of “Build the Gnome” by rolling dice and when you thrown the number you can build that part of the gnome. First to build it, wins!
- Use the smaller gnomes as bookmarks.
- Or punch a hole in the very top of a smaller gnome and use it as a gift tag or as a favor tag.
- Using either size gnome, punch holes on the left and right of each gnome and thread onto string to hang up as a garland.
- Finally, attach a popsicle stick to the back of a small gnome to turn it into a puppet.
Download Valentine’s Day Gnome Template
Click the download link to save the printable file(s) to your computer.
The Shop opens in a new tab/window.
Visit The Purple Pumpkin Shop for more awesome printables and products!
How Do I Make A Valentine’s Day Gnome?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- Free Printable Template (Download in Blog Post)
- Pink Construction Paper
- Red Construction Paper
- Flesh Tone Construction Paper
- White Construction Paper
- Glue Stick or Roller Glue Tape
- Print the template pieces onto the suggested colored papers (or use your own colorway).
- Cut all the pieces out using scissors.
- Lay the pieces in the correct order, then using glue, stick the pieces together.
- Display for Valentine's Day!
The printable template has two sizes of gnomes to make. You can make different sizes and colors of these gnomes to decorate or to give out for Valentine's Day!