This Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole is the perfect early meal of the day, or if you prefer, as part of Sunday Brunch! Combining classic breakfast ingredients like hash browns and sausage, with southwestern spices like cumin, garlic, and chipotle powder, you get this delicious dish that is ideal for setting the family up for the day ahead!
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole
The full ingredients list and instructions are found in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through so that you don’t miss any tips or substitution suggestions and ensure that you have all the ingredients and equipment required and understand the steps and timings involved.
One of the reasons that I love using my slow cooker so much is that I can just set it and forget it, and go about my day (or even sleep!). Then, without too much fuss, food is ready and waiting to be served.
This slow cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole is made with (browned) sausage, hash browns, red peppers, eggs, and cheese.
To save time when putting the casserole together, you can brown the meat in advance and keep it in the fridge before using it in the recipe.
The casserole takes 4-6 hours to cook (time may vary on your slow cooker model), so depending on when you want to serve breakfast or brunch, simply layer all the ingredients and go back to bed!
This recipe combines Southwestern flavors to create a flavor bomb of breakfast goodness! Oh, and it makes a great breakfast-for-dinner option too!
Ingredients & Equipment Used In This Recipe
While most ingredients can be bought in grocery stores, for your convenience, any specialized or notable ingredients (and equipment) needed for this recipe have been listed below and linked to Amazon or other stores if available online.
It does not include staple ingredients such as oil, salt, sugar, etc., as you’re likely to have those in your kitchen. The complete list of ingredients with measurements is found in the recipe card.
- Protein – Mild Bulk Sausage – also known as sausagemeat in the UK
- Fresh Produce – Red Bell Pepper, Green Onions (Scallions/Spring Onions) Cilantro
- Dairy – Sharp/Strong Cheddar Cheese, Monterey Jack (or other mild white) Cheese, Eggs
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray – or melted butter or coconut oil
- Shredded Hashbrowns – or grated fresh potato if you can’t buy them ready shredded where you live. Squeeze all the excess moisture from the grated potatoes using a teatowel or muslin cloth before using in the recipe.
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
- Chipotle Powder
Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog use both cup measurements and/or weighted measurements. American cups and kitchen food scales are handy pieces of equipment to have in your kitchen as it means you’ll be able to make all of the different recipes on my blog. I try to give American, imperial, and metric measurements in my recipes. Please note, you can mix cup measurements with weighted measurements, but never mix imperial (pounds, ounces, pints, etc.,) with metric (kilograms, grams, litres, etc.,).
More Recipes Using Eggs
One of the hero ingredients in this dish is eggs, so here are some more recipes using the same:
More Breakfast Recipes
Looking for more breakfast dishes to make? Check these recipes out next:
- Potato, Sausage, and Broccoli Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Parmesan Breakfast Potatoes in a Cast-Iron Skillet
- Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Coconut Flour Pancakes for Breakfast
- Cook times can vary significantly across different slow cooker models. You may need to adjust cook time as necessary.
How Do I Make Slow Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole?
Check out the printable recipe card below with full ingredients and instructions. Any demonstration photos do not print out to save your ink.
- Non-stick cooking spray (or melted butter or coconut oil)
- 16 oz (450g) mild bulk sausage (no casings)
- 1 20-oz (560g) bag hash browns, shredded*
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sharp (mature) cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack (or other mild white) cheese, finely shredded
- Chopped green onions, red pepper, fresh cilantro, and/or additional shredded cheese
- Spray a 6-quart or larger slow cooker pot with non-stick cooking spray (or grease with melted butter or coconut oil).
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet for 8-10 minutes until nicely browned. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess grease from the skillet. Set aside.
- Spread the hash browns in an even layer across the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Add the browned sausage and sprinkle the ground cumin and garlic powder on top.
- Add the chopped red pepper and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Whisk the eggs and water together in a large bowl and pour evenly across the top of the other ingredients before topping with the shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Serve immediately topped with green onion, red pepper, fresh cilantro, and/or additional shredded cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
Alternatively use this quantity of raw grated potato. Before using, squeeze out the excess moisture using a teatowel or muslin cloth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 774Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 336mgSodium: 1584mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 31g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.
Make It A Full Meal
This dish would be great for Sunday Brunch! Here are some additional brunch recipes for you to check out next:
- Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Coconut Flour Pancakes
- Instant Pot Blueberry Maple Compote For Waffles, Pancakes & More!
- Crispy Cheesy Hash Browns in a Cast Iron Skillet
- Delicious Cranberry Orange Scones
- Mint Grapefruit Mimosas for Sunday Brunch
There are 500+ Recipes on The Purple Pumpkin Blog for you to enjoy – please feel free to check them out too.