These pretty paper hand fans are a lovely decoration to make for Chinese New Year/Lunar New Year. Paper fans are super easy to make, and you can combine them to make large fans to hang on the wall. The free printable comes in a few different designs, including one for the Chinese zodiac animal for the year, which in 2022 is the Year of the Tiger!
Here are more Chinese New Year Printables to download! Right-click and open a new tab to read next.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Chinese New Year Paper Hand Fans
Tigers are the third of the Chinese zodiacs. According to legend, Tiger was confident that no one could compete with its speed and vigor for the celestial race that would decide the order of the zodiacs. However, when Tiger climbed out of the river, thinking it was first, it was informed that Rat placed first for its cunning and Ox placed second for its diligence. This left the king of the jungle having to settle for third place. – Chinese Zodiac
Your Chinese Zodiac is Tiger if you are born in one of these years: 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010, 2022.
These Chinese Paper Hand Fans make a pretty decoration, and/or a place holder at a dinner party – and you could also give them as party favors.
I’ve used my gold tiger design in these printables, since 2022 is the Year of the Tiger, as well as providing a plain red and gold fan, and another with Chinese lettering which wishes happy new year (at least, I hope that the website that I copied the text from is correct!)
You can make smaller, single fans, or you can join three of those fans together to make a large semi-circular fan, as shown in the images in this post.
Go another step further, and combine two halves to make a rosette to hang on the wall!
Whatever you decide, they are so simple to make, and you only need a couple of craft supplies.
- You will find the download links further down this page surrounded by a purple box. Tap the purple download buttons to save the file(s) to your device.
- I’ve provided two paper sizes – A4 and US Letter (8.5″ x 11″) – use the size that is appropriate for your printer.
Read this next: 50+ Delicious Recipes for Chinese New Year
We love to celebrate Chinese New Year in our household, I remember as a child going to Chinatown in London with my family and seeing the Lion Dance which always had me in complete awe, and we’d always enjoy some Chinese food too.
My dad was really into Kung Fu in his younger days, so maybe that’s where it all stemmed from! You can read more about Chinese New Year on my blog here.
I will be updating all of my free printables for the Chinese New Year. Make sure you are a member of The Pumpkin Patch so that you don’t miss out!
How To Make Paper Hand Fans
Grab the free printable templates to make these awesome fans using the instructions in the tutorial card below.
Download CNY Paper Hand Fans Template
Click the download link to save the printable file(s) to your computer.
The Shop opens in a new tab/window.
Visit The Purple Pumpkin Shop for more awesome printables and products!
- White Paper
- Free Printable Template (links in blog post)
- Red Raffia (or wool, or string)
- Roller Glue or
- Double-Sided Tape
- To make a small fan print off your preferred design onto good quality (120gsm/30lbs) thick paper.
- Cut the white border off.
- Fold concertina fashion - about ½"/1cm widths.
- Use a single hole punch to punch holes at the bottom end - you can only do a few at a time, so make sure you line them up as best you can.
- Thread red raffia (or ribbon, or wool) through and tie a double knot to secure. Cut off any excess.
- Fan out, and you're done!
- To make a large fan you will need three printable sheets per fan. They can be the same design, or you can mix them up like I did. Follow steps 2 - 4 above.
- If you are using different designs, decide which will be the middle fan section, if using the same design, it doesn't matter. Apply roller glue or double-sided tape down the outside length of the middle fan, on both the left and right sides.
- Carefully attach another fan to the sticky one.
- Thread red raffia (or ribbon, or wool) through and tie a double knot to secure. Cut off any excess. Fan out.
- To make a tassel, simply cut a bunch of raffia lengths and tie them around to secure.
- To make a full rosette, stick two large fans together and add a hanging loop at the back to hang on the wall.
- The photo below is of the large fan and I love how it turned out!
The free printable(s) is (are) a PDF and can be opened with Adobe Reader which is free to use. Printables designed and created by The Purple Pumpkin Blog and its Designers are for PERSONAL USE ONLY and NOT FOR RESALE under any circumstances. Please read the full Terms and Conditions. You are welcome to print these free printables at a print shop if you don’t have a printer at home, however, some print shops may not print licensed characters. Colours may vary slightly on printing due to different screen and printer settings. You may share this free printable blog post on social media, including Pinterest; as well as share it on your blog/website with a link back to this blog post. Please DO NOT share the PDF on social media or on your blog/website. If you use any of my printables it would be awesome to know about it! Post a picture on the social media platform that you hang out on, and follow me: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest! Use the hashtag #TPPBprintables so I can find you! I hope you enjoy these free printables!