Pico de Gallo is a Mexican fresh salad made with tomatoes, onions, chillies, coriander and lime juice. There are variations, as with so many recipes, and I too tweaked the basic recipe to my own. It’s a great salad to have in your arsenal, is quick to make, and goes great with barbecued food, on tortillas and tacos, or just as a chunky dip.
You only need a few ingredients to make Pico de Gallo, and it’s one of those that you can adjust to your personal flavour preferences too. I used tomatoes, red onions, fresh coriander, a green chilli, bell peppers, garlic salt and fresh lime juice.
All the ingredients are chopped finely, mixed together and then seasoned with garlic salt and lime juice. Giving exact measurements is tricky as I believe it’s all down to personal tastes with a dish like this! If you like your food hotter – add more chilli; don’t like heat – leave the chilli out! More tomato, less coriander..it’s all up to you!
- ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- red onions, finely chopped
- red, orange and yellow bell peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- fresh coriander, finely chopped
- green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- garlic salt
- lime juice
- Mix the tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and coriander in a bowl
- Add the chilli - to your heat level!
- Season with garlic salt and lime juice and stir together well
- Chill in the fridge until required
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 596mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
This site uses Nutritionix to provide estimated nutrition. Nutritional information is always approximate and will depend on the quality of ingredients used and serving sizes. If you need exact calories and macros, please do your own calculations.