You may recall my post a few weeks ago about the Better with BRITA campaign and their collaboration with Delicious magazine competition to create delicious food using BRITA filtered water as an ingredient. You may not stop to think about the times you use water in a recipe, but the quality of the water we use in cooking, will affect the taste of the end product. We have been using BRITA filtered water for years now, and I reach for my trusty water filter jug every time I cook or boil the kettle; I believe it makes a difference!
I am sharing with you my recipe for Pea & Mint Pesto Pasta – I boil the peas and the pasta in BRITA filtered water; why not give it a try?
- BRITA filtered water
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 small bunch mint, leaves only
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 12 blanched almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- juice 1/2 small lemon
- 4 tbsp olive oil + extra if required
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g pasta – your choice
- grated parmesan cheese
- Pour BRITA filtered water into a saucepan, bring to the boil and add a pinch of salt and a drop of olive oil. Add your choice of pasta and cook according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, pour BRITA filtered water into a kettle and boil.
- Place the peas in a bowl and pour the boiled BRITA filtered water over to cover them. Leave for 2 minutes.
- Drain the peas and place into a food processor. Add mint, capers, almonds, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil and blend together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. You may loosen the pesto with more olive oil if you wish.
- Drain the pasta and stir in the pea and mint pesto.
- Divide between two warmed bowls and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
Are you a budding food producer? Do you (or someone you know!) make an amazingingly tasty soup or a gloriously sticky pudding? Maybe it’s a fabulous salad or light as air cupcakes? If the answer is YES, then you are going to want to enter that recipe into the Better with BRITA + Delicious Competition where three very lucky winners will get a chance to showcase their food at The Big Feastival! (29th August – 1st September 2014).
An expert judging panel will decide on a shortlist of people who will be given the chance to come to London and make their produce for judges to taste. The three lucky winners will attend the UK’s most popular food festival, The Big Feastival, for an experience of a lifetime to sell their creations and gain recognition! Full details and the official rules can be found on the Delicious website.
So, get your thinking chef’s hat on or tell someone else about this amazing competition – it could be the chance of a lifetime for a food producer! You can always share this post using the buttons below!