Learn how to make this stunning Paper Sea Turtle Craft that your kids will love! This enchanting little sea turtle is a total lifesaver on rainy days where you’ve run out of fun activities to keep little ones busy.
I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post.
If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Read Full Disclosure Policy
Paper Sea Turtle Craft
You can make this cutie with just a few simple materials that I’m sure you already have laying around at home like construction paper, glue, and scissors. So there’s no need to worry about hitting the craft store to buy new supplies, which is a total plus!
This cute under the sea craft is great for improving those cutting skills, learning how to follow instructions, and an opportunity to talk about different creatures that live in the ocean.
Our free turtle printable template will help you to put together this craft in a flash – let’s get crafting!
TOP TIP! Print my craft templates in advance and store them in a folder so that you can grab them at a moment’s notice.
Speaking of a moment’s notice, a box of basic craft supplies is also a good thing to have on hand so you can get started on projects without worrying if you have the right stuff!
I’ve compiled a list of craft basics that I think everyone should have – you’ll find them in tips section further down this page. You don’t have to get ALL the things all at once, but building your craft stash will make life a lot easier when the kids are stuck indoors or want to make something last minute!
Materials & Tools Used in This Craft
The full list of materials, tools, and instructions are found in the printable tutorial card at the end of this post. I highly recommend reading the blog post all the way through before starting this project to ensure that you have everything required and understand the steps and timings involved.
You may have several standard craft supplies at home already, but I’ve included links to Amazon below for your convenience.
- Construction Paper in the following suggested colors: Green, Tan, Brown, White – but you can use any colors you like!
- Glue Stick
- Sea Turtle Printable Template
- You will find the template download links before the tutorial card and surrounded by a purple box. Tap the purple download buttons to save the file(s) to your device.
- Printables are available in two paper sizes – A4 and US Letter (8.5″ x 11″). Download the size that is appropriate for your printer.
More Under The Sea Crafts
This sea turtle paper craft is just one of a collection of fun under the sea paper crafts! Here are the others for you to do after this one:
I’ve shared lots of great craft ideas on The Purple Pumpkin Blog over the years, in fact, there are 100+ crafts to make and do at home that you can try!
Paper Sea Turtle Craft Tips
- Print the template onto the suggested colored construction paper and cut the pieces out. (But you could use any colors you want!)
- If construction paper won’t go through your printer, you could print onto regular paper and trace around the pieces onto the colored paper/card. You will have to add any detail with a black marker pen.
- Another option is to print onto white paper and color the pieces in with crayons, pens, paints or pencils.
- Or what about making this cute turtle using craft foam? You will have to add any detail with a black marker pen.
- Cut all the pieces out and lay them where they should go before sticking down with glue.
- An optional extra is adding glitter: apply white school glue to the parts you want to add some sparkle, sprinkle glitter on top, shake off the excess and leave to dry.
- You could also use other embellishments like googly eyes, or sequins to bring this craft to life.
- If you want to hang up your completed sea turtle you could use a piece of ribbon or string to form a hanging loop and stick to the back (or you could punch a hole at the top and thread the ribbon/string through).
- Why not use a variety of blue paints to create a water background to mount the paper turtle onto?
- If you plan on making more under the sea creatures from this series, you could even paint a large ocean background using a roll of lining paper from the DIY store!
Handy Crafting Supplies from Amazon
Having a good basic stash of craft supplies means you can get crafty at a moment’s notice. A lifesaver on rainy days, on snow days, when stuck inside, or when the kids are complaining for the hundredth time that they are bored! I keep a box full of these products below so that when my niece and nephews come to visit we can have a fun creative time together.
If you are short on space to store stuff, why not invest in a craft tote to keep everything together and stash away when not in use? There are many different sizes and styles so buy one (or two) suit your needs. I have a couple of this style tote just for pens and pencils!
Download Sea Turtle Template
Click the download link to save the printable file(s) to your computer.
The Shop opens in a new tab/window.
Visit The Purple Pumpkin Shop for both premium and FREE printables that you won’t find on my main blog!
How Do I Make a Paper Sea Turtle?
Just check out the how-to card below with full materials, tools, instructions and demonstration photos. You can print the card out too (don’t worry, the pics don’t print to save your ink!).
- Construction Paper in the following suggested colors: Green, Tan, Brown, White
- Free Printable Template (link in blog post)
- Glue Stick
- Download the sea turtle template and print it onto the suggested color construction paper.
- Cut the pieces out.
- Lay the pieces in the correct order before sticking down with a glue stick.
- Leave to dry before using (mounting, using role-play, or hanging)
- Optional - paint a blue ocean background to mount the turtle onto!