To accompany my macaroni pie that I served at my London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony Party, I put together a Greek salad. I say Greek salad because it had feta and olives on top, but the stuff I put in my Greek salad is what I remember my grandmother putting in hers :)
My Greek Salad
- 1 head of lettuce (I use romaine), shredded
- 3-4 one the vine tomatoes, roughly chopped
- half a cucumber, chopped into small pieces
- 1 red onion, halved and finely sliced
- quarter of a small white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, finely sliced
- 1 block feta cheese
- 10 black olives
For the dressing, you will need…
- 1 part lemon juice
- 1 part olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- dried oregano
- Assemble the salad by combining all the salad vegetables in a bowl and tossing together.
- Break the feta into big chunks and place on top of the salad. Scatter the olives on top.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil – adjusting to your taste. Season (again to your taste) and whisk through a pinch of dried oregano.
- Serve on the side, or if you prefer, over the salad at the last moment.